Chilliwack Fire Department crews tackled a house fire at the corner of Garden Drive and Charles Street just before 2 p.m. on Friday (Feb. 24).
At 1:54 p.m. firefighters were called to the fire in the kitchen of a residential duplex.
Heavy smoke could be seen venting from several windows and eaves when fire crews arrived on scene.
Some firefighters went inside right away as others set up hoses.
“Firefighters entered the building and quickly extinguished a kitchen-related fire. Fortunately, the lone occupant had safely evacuated once she discovered the fire,” fire chief Ian Josephson stated in a press release on Feb. 25.
After about 20 minutes on scene, the smoke continued but flames had not escaped to the outside of the structure.
A couple with a dog were outside near the path under the CN Rail tracks, one of whom shouted directions at the firefighters.
About 20 firefighters from Halls 1, 2, 4, and 6 responded to the fire. Crews seemed to have it under control by 2:20 p.m.
Fire, smoke and water damage was limited to the kitchen area of the upstairs suite.
The fire originated on the kitchen’s stovetop and the cause is related to an unattended pot of oil which igniting after the tenant became distracted. There were no working smoke alarms in this suite.
“We remind all residents to be very vigilant when cooking, especially when using cooking oils on the stovetop, and to ensure they have working smoke alarms,” Josephson said.
There were no civilian or firefighter injuries.
Do you have something to add to this story, or something else we should report on? Email:
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.