Allow me my moment to comment on the “Conservative Party out of touch with Canadians” headline in your “Readers Write” section (Chilliwack Progress, Letters, May 7, 2021).
Mark Strahl is the only MP representing Hope-Chilliwack presently and I predict he will continue when the next election rolls around.
In the meantime, while we wait for a federal election call, remember the broken promises from the Trudeau-led government.
1. Revenue neutral middle-class tax cut. Paying for itself? This is costing Canadians $1.2 billion annually. A robbing from Peter to pay Paul scenario (source: internet-surely accurate).
2. Small business tax cut from 11 per cent to nine per cent. Hasn’t happened!
3. Modest deficits. We all know about this biggie.
4. Balanced budget. Hardly needs explanation.
5. Revenue neutral carbon pricing. Mostly smoke and mirrors. If you need more evidence be sure to do some elementary research. Google might be a good start, or tap your favourite political pundits for their expertise.
6. Reduce gas emissions. Couldn’t even meet the Progressive Conservative targets.
7. Electoral reform. Really!
8. Open and transparent. It’s impossible to list the number of offences here. Most government MPs can’t answer simple questions without a script.
9. Restore home mail delivery. Another biggie.
10. Reduce debt-to-GDP ratio.
No, I predict Mark Strahl will be representing Hope-Chilliwack again.
As for Justin Trudeau, I wouldn’t bet the farm that he will be representing anyone again, especially with a third ethics offence hanging over his head.
P.S., The broken promises list has not been exhausted here.