Skip to content


1925 - 2016

We are sad to announce the passing of Marie Hawkes (nee

Holstein), who lived in Sardis since 1972. She was predeceased by Art Hawkes, her devoted husband of 64 years, in 2013. She is survived by 4 children: Sandra, Kirk (Valerie), Brad (Lorraine), Kal; 3 grandchildren: Stephen (Angie), Sarah (Nick), Kara; and 1 great granddaughter, Ella Marie. Marie’s life journey began in Alberta. She was born in Riverside, Calgary, near Prince’s Island Park, the same part of Calgary where she and Art lived after they married in 1949. She spent the first 14 years of her life on a Cochrane farm, riding horses and picking strawberries, her favourite food. Her independent spirit was probably fostered by the fact that she was the only girl in a family of 6 boys. She rode a horse to Weedon School from Grade 1-8, but one day fell off. Subsequently, her mother forbade her to ride - a rule that didn’t last long. On dates with Marie, Art went to the farm to learn to ride. He fell off, too. After Marie’s father died, she left Langevin High School to look after her mother in Calgary. At the young age of 16, Marie began her career with the RCAF in Calgary as a telephone operator at No. 11 Equipment Depot. Airman Art Hawkes met Marie when he was posted to Calgary. Shortly after marriage, they were transferred to Winnipeg, where Sandra and Kirk were born. Mom experienced the famous 1950 Winnipeg flood, and fled the city to stay with Art’s family in Pointe du Bois, Manitoba. Next, the family transferred to Montreal, where Brad was born. Following that, the family moved to Alymer, ON, where they lived on a tobacco farm. A few years later, Kal was born in Calgary, as Marie headed to RCAF Stn Claresholm to join Art. The longest stretch of transfers was at CFB Gimli, where she volunteered for the Winter Carnival, Kinsmen Kinettes, and continued working as a telephone operator. Marie’s greatest achievements were her garden and her role as an officer’s wife. Her name is mentioned a number of times in Art’s performance reviews. Commanding Officer’s wrote that Marie was a huge asset to Dad, not only as a model officer’s wife, but for her volunteer community involvement, which reflected well for Art and the military. Art had another commanding officer at home, who not only was instrumental to his career, but who raised a family, worked outside the home and grew bountiful gardens, from which we ate all year round. Marie was an accomplished, self-taught seamstress, who made everything from her children’s clothes to the formal gowns she wore to mess dinners. She also excelled at cross-stitch, crochet, and embroidery. After transferring to CFB Chilliwack in 1972, Marie worked in the Supply Section, eventually retiring to focus on their half acre property. She had an intimate relationship with the plants she grew, and talked to them as if they were her friends. In return, her garden flourished. She pretty well hand dug by herself the basement of a wine shed, as well as the addition to the house. She often had a shovel in her hand, and loved being outside. She grew a variety of vegetables and fruit, as well as grapes, which she and Art made into wine. Their yard won first place in the City of Chilliwack’s yearly garden competition. Marie and Art enjoyed entertaining outside; they built two patios for friends and family who visited. Marie lived a good life in her Sardis home. In her later years, she enjoyed sitting in the sunroom looking out over her garden. Heartfelt thanks are extended to staff at the Waverly care home for their loving and compassionate care of Marie during her last 1 ½ years. Service will be at a later date, perhaps when the winter crocus blooms. Marie loved to walk in her garden searching for them as the snow melted.

Your condolences will be approved within one business day. You will need a valid Facebook account. Please email us if you have any questions.