Emergency crews have knocked down a fire at a Yarrow gas station that came dangerously close to fuel pumps.
“It’s all knocked down now,” Chilliwack fire prevention officer Don Van Beest reported from the scene, at about noon Wednesday.
Businesses and residents within a 1,000-foot radius of the station at 42170 Yarrow Central Road had been evacuated to a nearby church, as officials feared a possible explosion.
“They are all safe and sound,” Chilliwack RCMP media liaison officer Cpl. Tammy Hollingsworth said.
The fire started at about 10:35 a.m. when a vehicle inside a bay of the Esso gas station burst into flames.
The station itself was soon engulfed in flames, but fuel pumps were not turned off as staff fled from the fire.
A propane refuelling tank was also located at the station.
Van Beest said fire crews were in a “mopping up” stage later in the afternoon, and an investigation by fire officials is underway.
Pet and livestock owners are being advised by city officials that antifreeze has leaked into Sharon Ditch in Yarrow after the fire. Read the full story online.