Wood-burning heater sparks blaze in Cultus Lake

Chilliwack fire officials are reminding the public to clean wood-burning appliances after fire broke out at Cultus Lake Saturday.

Chilliwack fire officials are reminding the public to clean wood-burning appliances after fire broke out in a manufactured home in Cultus Lake Saturday.

Firefighters found the owner atop the manufactured home fighting back the flames with a garden hose when they arrived in the wee hours Saturday morning.

“Apparently a fire had started in a wood-burning appliance and had travelled up the vent area into the roof, igniting the wood and roof materials,” Assistant Fire Chief Ian Josephson said in a news release.

Firefighters from three Chilliwack firehalls answered the 2:20 a.m. fire call in the 4900-block Cultus Lake Road.

Four people were home at the time of the fire, but safely evacuated after being alerted by working smoke alarms.

The cause of the fire was deemed accidental, related to the wood-burning appliance.

Be Among The First To Know

Sign up for a free account today, and receive top headlines in you inbox Monday to Saturday.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.



Don't have an account? Click here to sign up
Pop-up banner image