Coquitlam Mounties are investigating a string of unrelated instances where envelopes full of cash have been found in public places.
The latest envelope was discovered on Nov. 22, police said Tuesday, at a supermarket at 2929 Barnet Hwy. This incident follows two others where cash was turned in on Nov. 18 and Sept. 21.
Police said the cash located in September was turned in by a Good Samaritan after someone mistakenly dropped the envelope in Coquitlam Centre Mall.
Anyone with information about the three envelopes of lost money is being asked to call the Coquitlam RCMP.
Tips to lessen the risk of losing large amounts of cash:
The RCMP have also released a few suggestions on how to keep cash safe while shopping.
- Avoid carrying a large sum of cash unless you are using it immediately.
- When you need to carry a large amount of money, ensure it is secured inside a bag or a zippered pocket without any holes Carry smaller amounts of cash in a purse or wallet for your everyday transactions and keep that cash separate from larger sums of money.
- If you ever discover that you have lost cash, call your local police and be prepared to give the following:
- Details including amount, denominations and the type of currency,
- The exact time and place you noticed the money was missing,
- Any identifying marks on the envelope,
- A description of yourself,
- Your name and contact information.