Skip to content

Sprinkler system extinguishes fire in Chilliwack supportive housing building

Fire happened in vacant bedroom unit of building on Hocking Avenue in Chilliwack
The Chilliwack Fire Department responded to a minor fire at the Chilliwack Health and Housing Centre on Saturday, Nov. 20, 2021. (Chilliwack Progress file)

A fire in a bedroom of a supportive housing building in Chilliwack could have been much worse if not for the building’s sprinkler system.

Crews from the Chilliwack Fire Department responded to a fire alarm and sprinkler activation at the Chilliwack Health and Housing Centre (run by Pacific Community Resources Society) on Hocking Avenue at 7:23 a.m. on Saturday, Nov. 20.

“Fire crews accessed the vacant first-floor unit to find a single sprinkler head had activated, extinguishing the fire that originated on the bedroom night table,” said fire chief Ian Josephson. “Firefighters confirmed the fire was out, ventilated the smoke and shut off the sprinkler system.”

There was minor fire, smoke and water damage in the unit.

About 20 firefighters from Chilliwack Halls 1 and 4 responded to the incident. There were no civilian or firefighter injuries.

The cause of the fire appears to be accidental and continues to be investigated by the Chilliwack Fire Department.



Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Jenna Hauck

About the Author: Jenna Hauck

I started my career at The Chilliwack Progress in 2000 as a photojournalist.
Read more

Pop-up banner image