Chilliwack Fire Department was called out to an apartment fire Tuesday night. (Progress file photo)

Chilliwack Fire Department was called out to an apartment fire Tuesday night. (Progress file photo)

Mattress fire in Chilliwack prompts safety warning

Check smoke alarms and never leave smoking materials burning, says Chilliwack fire rep

A late-night mattress fire brought out Chilliwack fire crews to an apartment unit this week in the 9400 block of Cook Street.

It was almost 11 p.m. on Tuesday night when the call came in about a ground-floor apartment fire.

”Firefighters initiated an offensive attack, quickly extinguished the fire and vented smoke from the building,” said Mike Bourdon, assistant fire chief.

“This fire appears to be accidental and is under investigation by Chilliwack Fire Department.”

The suite suffered smoke and water damage, but there were no civilian or firefighter injuries and everyone managed to get out safely. Chilliwack Emergency Social Services team was on-scene, offering temporary accommodation for one displaced resident.

”Chilliwack Fire Department wants to remind the public that working smoke alarms provide an early warning of a fire, giving people additional escape time.”

The experts recommend testing smoke alarms at least once a month. Press the test button to make sure the alarm is working.

Bourdon had two safety tips. 1. Make sure smoking materials are never left unattended. 2. Extinguish all smoking materials completely in a proper receptacle.