Five Langley school students were taken to hospital after playing with a discarded vaping device. Wikimedia Commons image

Five B.C. students taken to hospital after playing with vaping device

School district said students were taken to hospital ‘out of an abundance of caution’

Five Langley elementary school students were taken to hospital Friday after playing with a discarded vaping device, the school district said.

In a written statement released late Saturday, the district said there was an “incident” at R.C. Garnett school which required medical attention for five students.

“During recess, a staff member noticed a small group of students handling a vape device found on the school field. “

It appeared the students were playing with the device and had contact with the liquid contents.

READ MORE: Vaping among Canadian teens spiked 74 per cent in one year: study

Staff called B.C. Poison Control, which advised the school to call BC Ambulance Service.

Parents of the students involved were called.

“Out of an abundance of caution, the five students were brought to hospital to be monitored and were released,” the statement said.

It added that the district “wants to assure families that student and staff safety and well-being is a top priority. The school conducts daily sweeps of school property for any trash, glass, and drug paraphernalia.”

R.C. Garnett school sent a letter to parents informing them of the incident.

School staff will be discussing the dangers of picking up unknown objects with students.

“The District is also encouraging families to continue these conversations at home,” the district release said.

.

_________________________________

Is there more to this story?

Email: dan.ferguson@langleyadvancetimes.com

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter

_________________________________

Just Posted

Taser takedown in Chilliwack complex after incident gets violent

Male suspect became agitated under questioning and repeatedly punched an officer

Agassiz man pleads guilty in snake venom death of toddler

Plea comes more than five years after the incident in North Vancouver

Young Chilliwack singer launches career with French classic

Deanne Ratzlaff performs as featured vocalist in La Vie en Rose in Chilliwack, London and Paris

The most h-i-l-a-r-i-o-u-s spelling bee you’ll ever see in Chilliwack

Secondary Characters Musical Theatre hits the stage with The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

Hang gliding video gives stunning view of Harrison and Fraser river confluence

Aerial view shows striking difference between two rivers as they meet

Fashion Fridays: 5 casual summer dress styles

Kim XO, helps to keep you looking good on Fashion Fridays on the Black Press Media Network

Bank of Canada lowers qualifying rate used in mortgage stress tests

Home sales softened last year after the federal government introduced new stress test rules for uninsured mortgages

Couple found dead along northern B.C. highway in double homicide

Woman from the U.S. and man from Australia found dead near Liard Hot Springs

Trudeau says Ottawa open to proposals for B.C. refinery as gas prices soar

Prime minister says he knows B.C. residents are struggling and the federal government is open to ideas

Clock’s ticking to share how you feel about Daylight Saving Time in B.C.

Provincial public survey ends at 4 p.m. on Friday

B.C. First Nation’s group using ads in Texas targeting company for fuel spill

The Heiltsuk Tribal Council has called out Kirby Corporation for the Nathan E. Stewart oil spill

B.C. woman wins record $2.1 million on casino slot machine

‘That night was so surreal … I wasn’t able to sleep or eat for the first two days,’ she said

After B.C. dad’s death, Technical Safety BC wants changes to trampoline park rules

Jay Greenwood, 46, did ‘a series of acrobatic manoeuvres prior to a fall that caused serious injury and cardiac arrest’

Cars keyed on BC Ferries after alarms bother dog on board

Delta police arrested one passenger on suspicion of mischief

Most Read