A fire apparently ignited by a nearby fish smoker damaged a house on Upper Prairie Road early Wednesday morning.
The cause of the fire appeared to be related to the fish smoker located too close to a wood pallet, Assistant Fire Chief Ian Josephson said.
"The fish smoker and firewood were destroyed, but there was minimal damage to the house exterior," he said.
Two adults in the house were not injured.
Firefighters responded to the 3:59 a.m. fire call in the 8400-block Upper Prairie Road to find a large fire in a detached, exterior firewood storage area.
The fire was starting to move toward the single-family house located about three metres away.
Firefighters were able to control the fire and save the house, but had to run a long length of fire hose down the road as a bridge was "not suitable for fire apparatus weights," Josephson said.
The fire department is reminding the public to keep all combustibles at least one metre away from cooking and heating appliances.