Fire damage is seen in the windows of an apartment on Yale Road on April 21, 2021 following a fire there the night before. (Jenna Hauck/ Chilliwack Progress)

Fire damage is seen in the windows of an apartment on Yale Road on April 21, 2021 following a fire there the night before. (Jenna Hauck/ Chilliwack Progress)

Chilliwack Fire Dept. reminds people again to have working smoke alarms following 2nd blaze in 2 days

All six halls responded to bedroom fire in apartment on Yale Road above restaurant in Chilliwack

For the second time in two days, the Chilliwack Fire Department is reminding folks to ensure they have working smoke alarms in their home following another residential fire.

Shortly after 10 p.m. on Tuesday, April 20, firefighters from all six halls responded to a bedroom fire located in an apartment above the Chilli’s Donair and Frozen Scoop restaurant in the 46000-block of Yale Road.

Fire crews arrived on scene to find heavy black smoke showing from the roof area.

Firefighters gained access to the suite and quickly extinguished fire that was located in one of the bedrooms. Crews vented the smoke and confirmed the fire had not extended past the area of origin.

The majority of the fire, smoke and water damage was contained to the one suite with minor water damage to the restaurant on the lower floor.

Fire damage is seen in the windows of an apartment on Yale Road on April 21, 2021 following a fire there the night before. (Jenna Hauck/ Chilliwack Progress)

Fire damage is seen in the windows of an apartment on Yale Road on April 21, 2021 following a fire there the night before. (Jenna Hauck/ Chilliwack Progress)

Initially, there were reports of people trapped inside the apartment, but according to the April 21 press release, all occupants of the suite had safely evacuated with no injuries.

Emergency Support Services attended to provide support for the displaced tenants.

Cause of the fire was accidental and possibly related to the building’s electrical system.

“Chilliwack Fire Department reminds residents to ensure they have working smoke alarms. Smoke alarms should be tested regularly,” said fire officials.

On Monday, firefighters responded to fire in a bedroom of a townhouse unit on Knight Road. It was caused by a burning candle left unattended.

READ MORE: Unattended burning candle results in townhouse fire in Chilliwack


 

Do you have something to add to this story, or something else we should report on?
Email: jenna.hauck@theprogress.com
Twitter: @PhotoJennalism

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

fire