Fire crews from Agassiz

Agassiz home lost to fire

Family of six left homeless just two weeks before Christmas

An Agassiz family of six is in need of a home for the holidays.

Their house was completely destroyed by fire Monday afternoon, despite a rapid response from three fire surrounding fire departments. Immediately, community members began looking for ways to help the family. A relative of the displaced family said the most pressing need will be a place a stay. They have four young children and several pets.

“Social services will only put them up for three days, then they told them to go to a shelter,” Carol Perry, the children’s grandmother wrote in an email from Ontario. “If anyone knows any place available for them to rent they would be great.”

The family was renting a mobile home on Wells Road, and have chickens, pigs, a pony, a dog and a cat.

“They just really need to find a place to live,” Perry said. “Once they get that, they will be okay.”

She added she’s just sent out her grandchildren’s Christmas presents. However, the children are twin girls aged seven, a nine year old boy and a four year old boy.

The children attend Kent elementary school in Agassiz, and that school’s principal announced on Tuesday they will be accepting donations for the family.

“One of our families needs our help,” Chris Wejr wrote on the school’s Facebook page. “Yesterday, one of our families’ homes on a farm burnt down. They are all safe but sadly lost everything. They are currently living in a hotel until Thursday but are looking for a place to live/rent on a farm.”

He asked that if people want to donate gently used clothing and household items, they could drop off at the school. The twins are a size 7/8, the older boy is a size 10 and the younger boy is a size 6/7.

Three fire halls (Agassiz, Seabird and Popkum) were on scene Monday afternoon, trying to knock down the flames at the Wells Road mobile home. Agassiz fire fighters stayed on scene through the evening to take care of hot spots, and returned for clean up on Tuesday.

The fire was caused by an older electrical heater, said Agassiz Fire Chief Wayne Dyer.

“It was going all day, every day,” he said.

news@ahobserver.com

.

 

 

 

Just Posted

New ‘meowyoral’ race featuring felines announced by Chilliwack animal shelter

Organizers hope the cat election will generate attention for both the shelter and municipal election

VIDEO: Education Minister talks SOGI 123 and the Chilliwack school board election

He said people are making ‘noise about side issues but student safety is important’

Chilliwack athletes win provincial titles at Cultus Lake Triathlon

Close to 700 athletes competed in several distances, with action starting at Cultus Lake Park.

Chilliwack Chiefs add defenceman Alexander Marrocco

Marrocco is the younger brother of PJ Marrocco, a forward from last spring’s RBC Cup champions.

Rally in the Valley in Chilliwack to talk stewardship

It’s an event to connect interested locals with groups making a difference with species at risk

B.C. RCMP turn to Const. Scarecrow to shock speeders into slowing down

New addition will watch over drivers from a Coquitlam median for first-of-its-kind pilot in Canada

B.C. home to 1/3 of Canada’s overdose deaths in first 3 months of the year

There were 1,036 overdose deaths in the first three months of the year, with 94 per cent accidental

B.C. candidate moves from hospice care to council race

He beat terminal cancer twice and entered hospice when he decided to run for council.

Canadian tobacco exec pushes back against vaping health concerns

A warning from Interior Health about the unknown health risks of vaping is getting a partial rebuke

Ministry of Agriculture commits $300,000 to help B.C. farmers obtain land

B.C. Land Matching Program supports access to affordable farmland for young farmers

Lower Mainland city calls for slower trains near popular beach

Surrey Mayor Linda Hepner said ‘it’s the least we can do’

Canadian air force short 275 pilots

Attrition outpaces recruitment and training claims Air Force

Teacher suspended after physically shushing, saying ‘shut up’ to student

Grade 5 student reported feeling ‘confused and a little scared’

Most Read