Fire crews from Agassiz

Agassiz home lost to fire

Family of six left homeless just two weeks before Christmas

An Agassiz family of six is in need of a home for the holidays.

Their house was completely destroyed by fire Monday afternoon, despite a rapid response from three fire surrounding fire departments. Immediately, community members began looking for ways to help the family. A relative of the displaced family said the most pressing need will be a place a stay. They have four young children and several pets.

“Social services will only put them up for three days, then they told them to go to a shelter,” Carol Perry, the children’s grandmother wrote in an email from Ontario. “If anyone knows any place available for them to rent they would be great.”

The family was renting a mobile home on Wells Road, and have chickens, pigs, a pony, a dog and a cat.

“They just really need to find a place to live,” Perry said. “Once they get that, they will be okay.”

She added she’s just sent out her grandchildren’s Christmas presents. However, the children are twin girls aged seven, a nine year old boy and a four year old boy.

The children attend Kent elementary school in Agassiz, and that school’s principal announced on Tuesday they will be accepting donations for the family.

“One of our families needs our help,” Chris Wejr wrote on the school’s Facebook page. “Yesterday, one of our families’ homes on a farm burnt down. They are all safe but sadly lost everything. They are currently living in a hotel until Thursday but are looking for a place to live/rent on a farm.”

He asked that if people want to donate gently used clothing and household items, they could drop off at the school. The twins are a size 7/8, the older boy is a size 10 and the younger boy is a size 6/7.

Three fire halls (Agassiz, Seabird and Popkum) were on scene Monday afternoon, trying to knock down the flames at the Wells Road mobile home. Agassiz fire fighters stayed on scene through the evening to take care of hot spots, and returned for clean up on Tuesday.

The fire was caused by an older electrical heater, said Agassiz Fire Chief Wayne Dyer.

“It was going all day, every day,” he said.

news@ahobserver.com

.

 

 

 

Just Posted

Three Chilliwack entrepreneurs finalists for Small Business BC Awards

Woodside Enterprises, Pick Eco Refills and Culture Co. could win in different categories

Six impaired drivers nabbed in Chilliwack RCMP CounterAttack campaign

Officers were set up on Yale Road overpass on Dec. 7

Fish farm foes take heart from pledge to take aquaculture out of B.C. waters

PM sets timeline for five years to transition fish farming out of ocean in B.C.

New arts-technology focused high school coming to Chilliwack for 2021

Education Minister announces $15.4 million and January construction start for new southside school

Planning price tag revealed for futuristic ‘We Town’ concept in Abbotsford

Developer says highrises would house 30,000, but Abbotsford mayor says project is in wrong place

VIDEO: More air-passenger rights go into effect this weekend

The first set of passenger rights arrived in mid-July in Canada

Swoop airlines adds three destinations in 2020 – Victoria, Kamloops, San Diego

Low-fair subsidiary of WestJet Airlines brings new destinations in April 2020

Aid a priority for idled Vancouver Island loggers, John Horgan says

Steelworkers, Western Forest Products returning to mediation

Navigating ‘fever phobia’: B.C. doctor gives tips on when a sick kid should get to the ER

Any temperature above 38 C is considered a fever, but not all cases warrant a trip to the hospital

Transportation Safety Board finishes work at B.C. plane crash site, investigation continues

Transport Canada provides information bulletin, family of victim releases statement

Man accused of child sex crimes out on bail: Delta police

Gurchetan Singh Samra, 69, must stay away from — and not communicate with — anyone under 16 years old

Wagon wheels can now be any size! B.C. community scraps 52 obsolete bylaws

They include an old bylaw regulating public morals

Indigenous mother wins $20,000 racial discrimination case against Vancouver police

Vancouver Police Board ordered to pay $20,000 and create Indigenous-sensitivity training

Sentencing for B.C. father who murdered two young daughters starts Monday

The bodies of Aubrey, 4, and Chloe, 6, were found in Oak Bay father’s apartment Dec. 25, 2017

Most Read