We don’t often lament a “bad makeup day” or dodge a photo for want of something to wear. But a bad hair day? Definitely!
Luckily, it’s something Chilliwack residents needn’t worry about, with the right salon.
So what’s the secret to great looking hair? Skilled, knowledgeable stylists, passionate about their work and committed to learning – both with and for their clients, says Chris Franklin, owner of Michael’s on Main Hair & Nail Studio. “When you love something, it just doesn’t seem like a job – it’s a beautiful thing when a career and a passion come together,” she reflects.
Michael’s has welcomed clients for an amazing 69 years, with the original “Michael” passing the reins to Jan (pronounced Yawn) VanderHoek, who recently retired after 46 years. Today, Chris, an award-winning stylist, is thrilled to be back behind her chair. Even better, she does it with her daughter Bailie, a stylist for 8 years herself, and another seasoned stylist, Lee!
What makes for a great salon? Chris shares the secrets of their success:
- Styles for all ages: As a stylist, Chris and her team enjoy the best of both worlds – the traditional styles favoured by some of their longtime clients, and the always-changing trending styles that keep them fresh and inspired. “We love working with people of all ages, and both men and women,” Chris says, pointing out that much like fashion, what was once old is often “new” again in hair. (Yes, perms are making a comeback!)
- Feel fantastic: When you leave the salon, you should feel fabulous, and for Team Michael’s, making that happen for clients is easily a highlight. “We really enjoy making people feel good when they come in,” she says. “I swear we have the best clients – we are so lucky here.”
- WIN BIG! To share the love even more, Michael’s has partnered with Real Deals on Home Decor for a makeover contest: one lucky winner will win a new set of Light Concept gel nails, a full head of foils or a colour, a haircut and style, and the professional Joico hair care products to look after it, plus a $100 gift certificate to spend at Reals Deals on home decor, clothing, jewellery or accessories – your choice!
- The science of hair: Not only are styles and products always changing, but so is our understanding of hair and skin health, meaning no matter how experienced your stylist is, ongoing education is a must. “If you don’t stay up-to-date with the latest information, you’re missing out as a stylist, and with what you can offer your clients,” Chris explains. For example, Joico offers seven different lines of hair colour, each with a unique purpose, depending on the client’s hair and goals. That means today’s stylists need to understand not only their client’s style wishes, but also their hair chemistry.
- They do nails too! As stylists with their hands in water and hair products through the day, the ladies know life can be tough on nails. Michael’s on Main wants the best for themselves and their clients … enter Light Concept Nails. Masterly applied by technician Rose, these nails offer finishes designed for clients who want quality, long-lasting results that won’t compromise their natural nails.
As Community Ambassadors actively involved in the Downtown Chilliwack Business Improvement District and a variety of local initiatives, Michael’s is also a drop-off point for the Community Cupboard, collecting clothing, school supplies and non-perishable food for local people in need. They support the Crystal Gala Foundation that is based in Abbotsford but serves the people of Surrey across the Fraser Valley to Hope. Money is raised to help promote and achieve breast health and support the women and families who suffer the effects of breast cancer.