Skip to content

Driver sentenced for fleeing from Abbotsford to Surrey and ramming cop cars

Andrew Korosec gets another 14 months in jail on top of time already served
A damaged police vehicle is removed from a cul-de-sac in Surrey where it was rammed by a driver who had fled from Abbotsford on May 23, 2023. Andrew Korosec has now been sentenced. (Photo by Shane MacKichan)

A Surrey driver who sped away from police in Abbotsford, rammed several police vehicles and injured an officer in Surrey last year has been sentenced to an additional 14 months in jail.

Andrew Korosec, 26, was sentenced Thursday (Feb. 8) in Abbotsford provincial court after previously pleading guilty to dangerous driving, fleeing from police and resisting a peace officer.

His sentence is in addition to the time he has served in custody since his arrest in May 2023 and will be followed by one year of probation.

Korosec was also handed a two-year driving ban.

Police previously reported that the incident involving Korosec began at 7:40 p.m. on May 23, 2023, when a patrol officer tried to stop a Dodge Dakota pickup with unattached B.C. licence plates on Lilac Crescent in Abbotsford.

The driver rammed the officer’s vehicle and sped away. The officer was not seriously injured.

Plainclothes officers then located the vehicle entering Highway 1 westbound at the Mt. Lehman interchange, and those officers and others in unmarked vehicles followed the truck from Abbotsford to Surrey.

RELATED: Driver flees from Abbotsford to Surrey, rams cop cars and injures officer

Police said, at times, the suspect was driving “in a dangerous manner.”

The vehicle entered a cul-de-sac in the area of Sequoia Drive and 80th Avenue in Surrey and officers tried to box in the truck, but the driver rammed several of the police vehicles. One officer was injured.

The driver was able to get the truck free and again drove away.

The vehicle, extensively damaged from the earlier collision with the police vehicles, was located a short time later at the dead-end portion of 80th Avenue.

The Surrey Police Service and the Surrey RCMP assisted, and officers located the driver and his female passenger. They were arrested without further incident.

Korosec, 25, was charged with four counts of assault with a weapon and one count each of flight from police and resisting a peace officer, but the charges were later adapted to the three to which he pleaded guilty.

Korosec has prior convictions for stealing a vehicle, dangerous driving, possession of stolen property, break-and-enter, assault with a weapon, theft and breaching his conditions.

Korosec’s passenger in the May 2023 incident, Brooke Anthony, 36, was arrested on outstanding warrants and was additionally charged with two counts of resisting a peace officer. Her trial on those charges is scheduled for June 25 in Abbotsford.