Richard Keith PARRY

Richard Keith PARRY

Richard Keith Parry (Rick to his family) passed away peacefully on February 1, 2009, in the Palliative Care unit at St. Paul’s Hospital, surrounded by family and friends.

Richard wore many hats in his life. He was a strong protector, a great ally, and a wonderful, loyal friend. He was always very clear in his opinions and didn’t hesitate to share them. He was a true fighter, and kept that feistiness to the end.

When his father left the family, he selflessly stepped up and became the father figure for his younger siblings, teaching them how to ski and drive, taking them on outings, and always making sure his mother had what she needed. He was very good to his mother.

He was multi-talented and a great handyman; there was very little that he couldn’t do. He was a professional driver, appliance repairman, photo–grapher, volunteer, reflexologist, as well as an extra for film and TV. He worked for the Chilliwack Repair Shop, Coca-Cola, Price Daxion, the Gandy Dancer, Chris Hallett Photography, BBM, and Small Claims Court. His meticulousness and attention to detail made him a wonderful cleaner.

He was always ready and willing to volunteer and was more than generous with his time, helping out at BCPWA and Friends for Life. He loved driving DJs to gigs – they were always on time! Many people benefitted from his gift of reflexology and tender care. He loved his computer, music, and he loved to dance.

He had a passion for anything with a motor and frequently dismantled and repaired household items. As a teenager he loved motor bikes, and this love soon included automobiles. By the age of 16 he was building his first car: an Austin. Throughout the course of his life he also owned a Jaguar, a blue Beetle, an MG Midget, a Volkswagen van, and a Volvo wagon. His last vehicle, his beloved baby blue Beetle named Annabelle, has been left to his niece Megan.

Richard also loved to shop – mostly for electronics and clothes. He could never throw anything away. His attention to detail meant that some projects, like reupholstering his furniture and making a new duvet cover, turned into major creative projects. He also loved to bake banana bread which he often gave as gifts.

Richard experienced many years of illness and finally succumbed to liver failure. He was 55 years old.

Richard leaves behind his mother Lillian Ross (who he called the “best mother in the world”); step-father Stanley Ross, brothers: Brad and Scott (Christine); sister, Susan (Tom); nieces: Shawna, Megan and Chelsea; nephews: Lucas, Noah and Corey; his beloved cat Samantha; and dearest friends Colin MacDonald and Jamie Simpson.

He is predeceased by partner Ray, his father Stanley Keith Parry, and his first beloved cat Yoda. He is also predeceased by many friends.

Richard received exceptional care from the staff of 10C and 10D at St. Paul’s Hospital. His family and friends are extremely grateful for their warmth and caring.

There will be a celebration of Richard’s life on February 22, 2009 from 2:00 to 6:00 pm at Windows on the Bay, Coast Plaza Hotel, 1763 Comox Street (at Denman Street).

In lieu of flowers, Richard’s family and friends request that donations be made in his name to Vancouver Friends for Life Society or St. Paul’s Hospital.

Banana Bread 2010

Makes 4 medium loaves

2/3 cup butter, softened

2 cups white flour

2 cups whole wheat flour

2 cups white sugar

2 cups brown sugar

8 large eggs

4 tsp baking soda

4 tsp baking powder

4 tsp cinnamon

2 tsp salt

2 tsp vanilla

2/3 cup apple sauce

1/3 cup orange juice

7 large overripe bananas (approximately 8 cups)

Mix brown sugar with beaten eggs. Mix all other dry ingredients in a separate bowl.

Measure out approximately 6 to 8 cups of mashed bananas. Combine all by folding all ingredients together (all three mixtures). Stir until fairly smooth, do not over mix.

If desired, dice one or two medium small bananas and fold into batter.

Bake at 360 degrees for a minimum of one hour. Test for doneness with a dry toothpick.

Continue baking until all four loaves no longer stick to the toothpick.

Cool with floor fan (fifteen minutes).

Once cool enough, carefully remove from baking tin (use a knife to separate edges) and wrap, continue cooling, then refrigerate.

Wrap in clear air-tight sealing wrap.

Enjoy! Recipe developed by Richard K. Parry

Your condolences will be approved within one business day. You will need a valid Facebook account. Please email us if you have any questions.