(June 18, 1917 – June 14, 2008)
Lionel was born in Chillliwack where the family had a farm on Lickman Road.
The Clark home, built by his parents, Maude and Ira, is one of the local historic homes.
He is survived by his daughter Janet Lyall (Clare) of Calgary; and his son Bill Clark (Shirley) of Campbell River; six grandchildren: Corinne Lyall (Derek Lawson), Callum Lyall, Sarah Kirk (Larry), Rick Clark, Alan Clark, Steven Foggitt (Terri-Lynn); four great-grandchildren and many nieces and nephews.
He was predeceased by his wife Margaret (Lewis) in
November 2000; and his five siblings: Myrtle Patterson (Norman), George Clark (Patricia), Wilfred Clark (Peggy), Edgar Clark, Agnes Jones (Harold).
Following his marriage in 1941, he farmed on Rose Island in East Chilliwack until he decided the cows got up too early and did not take weekends off. He then logged at the Silver Skagit for a time, then went house building in Chilliwack.
In 1956 he moved his family to Powell River where he continued to build houses until he and Margaret opened “Builder’s Mart”, a decorator center for residential homes. The business was exceptionally successful and they sold in 1977, returning to the valley in 1980, living at Cultus Lake for their retirement years.
Lionel enjoyed fishing the rivers and ocean with friends and family, golfing at Aquadel, playing cards at any opportunity, particularly poker and cribbage where he filled many pill bottles with his winnings. He enjoyed coffee at the Airport most mornings with a group of special friends.
For many years at Christmas he made his “World Famous Peanut Brittle” and this past December donated in excess of $1000 to a charity for the orders he sold. Much more was gifted. By his calculations, which were always exact, he made a ton of peanut brittle.
There is to be no public service at his request. A private family function will be held in Campbell River during the summer.
Memorial donations may be made to The Salvation Army or a charity of your choice.
The family thanks Dr. Dodds and the caring staff on the fifth floor of the Chilliwack General Hospital.