John Alexander TREE


It is with deep sorrow, we announce the death of our dear friend, Uncle Johnny Tree, a very special person who has been an integral part of our family since the 1940s. He was a quiet, reflective man who enjoyed a simple, uncomplicated lifestyle and valued the tenets of the old fashion work ethic.

For the past 30 years, and until an untimely stroke limited the use of his right hand, he drove daily up Promontory to ‘’Fleita’s Place’’ to help with the farm chores. He swung a mean scythe and thousands of thistles and burrs felt the sting of his relentless assault and over the years, hundreds of cords of wood have stood as a monument to his diligence.

He was born in the farming community of Belmont in the municipality of Strathcona, Man. He then moved in the late 30s to B.C. During the Second World War, he served meritoriously as a Sergeant with the North Shore New Brunswick Regiment and was awarded the prestigious ‘Military Medal’ for bravery.

His parents, William Joseph Tree and Lora (nee Lambkin); brothers, William and Albert Tree; sisters, Mary McKay, Mae Scott, and Della Wilson; his wife Martha; and his dear friend, Fleita predeceased him.

He is survived by two nephews from Brandon, Man., Jack McKay and sons, Grant and Kim, and from Nepean, Ont., Gerald Scott (Patricia) and their son John, and daughter Heather, along with eight great-great nephews and nieces. He also leaves the members of his lifelong second family, Fleita Tutte’s children, John Jr. and Elva-Fay; grandchildren, Rachel and James Tutte, Clay Thornton and Shawn McManus; and eight great-grandchildren, who all regarded Johnny as their very special uncle.

Both families wish to express their sincere appreciation for the excellent care given John by Dr. David Page, the emergency staff of the Chilliwack Hospital, and the community nurses and home support workers who provided gentle and caring hands, along with his dedicated friends, Art and Katie Arnold, who consistently monitored his progress during his last days. We thank you and know that God will reward you.

At his request, John will be cremated, Woodlawn Funeral Home officiating.

A quiet memorial will be held Saturday, Aug. 23, 2003 with family and friends.

Gifts in John’s name to be forwarded to the Salvation Army. Executors: Simpson and Simpson.

Your condolences will be approved within one business day. You will need a valid Facebook account. Please email us if you have any questions.