Yarrow kids heading to Mount Slesse middle

A 27-signature petition wasn't enough to sway trustees to vote against a motion to change school boundaries for Yarrow students.

A 27-signature petition wasn’t enough to sway trustees to vote against a motion to change school boundaries for Yarrow students.Nor was verbal opposition expressed from several parents attending Tuesday night’s board meeting.Starting in September, middle school students living in Yarrow will be attending Mount Slesse middle school instead of Vedder middle.However, a one-time amendment was passed that would allow students going into Grade 7 next year with siblings already attending Vedder middle to attend VMS if they so desired.The amendment affects four students.Parent Ingrid Schoolkate, who’s youngest child will be going into middle school next year, had great concerns going into the meeting and was adamant she did not want her son attending Mount Slesse. She was satisfied with the amendment.”My son, from what I understand, has a choice because he has siblings [attending VMS],” she said following the meeting. “Ultimately it would have been good if all students were given a choice, but this is the next step.”Some parents expressed concerns regarding the short process, given they were only notified three weeks ago.”The appearance is that it’s been done in haste,” said parent Dan Davis.Superintendent Corinne McCabe said that while there were suspicions of Mount Slesse’s enrollment continuing to decline, accurate projections weren’t available until early December.Without Yarrow, Mount Slesse’s enrollment was expected to drop below 500 students next year, which would result in staffing and program reductions. The school’s capacity is for 650 students; 750 with portables. With the addition of the approximate 35 Yarrow students, Slesse’s enrollment would stay above 500 students.Trustee Heather Maahs, the only trustee who voted against the change, said that she didn’t believe all options had been explored.”I regret that this has become somewhat of a pitting one middle school against another,” she said. “However, I don’t believe this should be done in haste and I don’t believe a long enough process has taken place.”It’s not in the best interest of the students,” she said.Trustee Louise Piper disagreed. She said that as a board they needed to look at the needs of all students in the district, and while she sympathized that change is difficult, it’s still several months away, which would give students and parents ample time to adjust.”I get the concern, but this is the best thing for our district,” said Piper. “We have to consider 13,000 students and what the whole district will look like.”The boundary change is effective September 2011.

<a href= “mailto:kbartel@theprogress.com” >kbartel@theprogress.com</a>

Just Posted

Final list of 2018 election candidates confirmed for Chilliwack and beyond

Friday was the deadline for filing nomination papers of candidates running in the 2018 elections

Earl Marriott superstars sink Sardis football Falcons

Byron Ruvalcaba and Sam La Roue led the Mariners to a 34-20 home-field win over Sardis.

UPDATE: Woman from Surrey killed in head-on collision in Chilliwack Saturday

Witnesses in the vehicle struck told first responders the woman appeared to be asleep at the wheel

UPDATE: Province pledges nearly $49 million for new Chilliwack school

Construction on the K-8 school scheduled to begin October 2019 at site along Vedder River

Police ask for public’s help locating missing Agassiz man

Andre Marc Provencal, 27, hasn’t been seen since mid-August

‘Fire tornado’ erupts as firefighters battle interior B.C. wildfire

Firefighters near Vanderhoof were taken by surprise

Abdelrazik torture lawsuit delay would be unconscionable: lawyer

The federal government is making a last-minute plea to delay the Federal Court hearing

Trudeau upset after meeting with Saskatchewan chiefs

Trudeau is upset about how time was managed in a recent meeting

B.C. tent city ‘devastated’ after flash flood

Maple Ridge mayor says that residents shouldn’t have to return to their flooded tents

Filipino-Canadians concerned about family after typhoon hits Philippines

Typhoon Mangkhut has killed 66 people in the Philippines and four in China

Ottawa looks at having retired judge help guide renewed pipeline review process

The feds would only says that ‘multiple options were on the table’

Canada bans use of trans fats in food products

Trans fats are know to cause heart disease

Yukon suspect in B.C. mail bombing makes court appearance

Whitehorse man Leon Nepper faces charges related to a mail bomb sent to a Port Alice home Sept. 11

Highway 17 closed as Surrey firefighters battle propane blaze

Surrey RCMP control traffic as firefighers fight fire at Pacific Propane Container Recycling

Most Read