Firefighters from several Chilliwack halls were on scene at a house fire in the 51000-block of Old Yale Road in Rosedale Sunday night.
The call came in around 10 p.m. Sunday, and crews arrived to find the two-storey home fully engulfed in flames. Witnesses said they heard several loud explosions coming from the house before firefighters arrived.
The fire was so intense that it consumed the gas meter, producing a small gas leak that required Fortis to disconnect services at the road. The home was completely destroyed.
It is not believed anyone was home at the time.
Firefighters worked for two hours to control the fire from outside of the home. Hose lines were deployed to neighbouring properties to ensure that any nearby structures were not affected by flying embers.
Traffic was blocked off at the intersection of Yale Road East and Old Yale Road. RCMP, paramedics and BC Hydro were also on scene.
More information as it becomes available.