‘Stand by your pan’ Chilliwack Fire Department warns after kitchen fire

‘Stand by your pan’ Chilliwack Fire Department warns after kitchen fire

Stovetop fire was extinguished by sprinkler system by the time firefighters arrived

The Chilliwack Fire Department are reminding residents to “stand by your pan” after a kitchen fire on Saturday.

It was that day at approximately 5:30 p.m. when firefighters were dispatched to a reported apartment structure fire in the 45000 block of Wellington Avenue.

Firefighters discovered a stovetop fire in the kitchen of a first floor apartment unit. The fire had been extinguished by the building’s automatic fire sprinkler system prior to the arrival of fire crews

Without a working sprinkler system in place, this fire had the potential of causing extensive fire damage to the home and adjacent units in the apartment building, according to the department.

“The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking. Please make sure to stay in the kitchen when you are frying, boiling, grilling, or broiling food and always turn off the burner if you leave the kitchen for any reason.”