With snow continuing to accumulate in Chilliwack this morning (Feb. 12), the list of closures, weather advisories and traffic accidents is growing.
Here are some updates for Chilliwack residents to be aware of.
The wind has picked up on the Sumas Prairie.
— Emil Anderson Maintenance Co. Ltd. (@EAMOperations) February 12, 2019
• While the main roads throughout the city are mostly wet and slushy, snow is accumulating on side roads that aren’t designated high priority. The City of Chilliwack operates several webcams throughout the city, and drivers are encouraged to check those cameras for updates on main road conditions.
RELATED STORY: Chilliwack snow-clearing crews have their hands full
• Chilliwack School District has closed its schools and all programs for the day, and cancelled tonight’s board meeting. Meanwhile, the University of the Fraser Valley is on its second day of closures.
• BC Transit still has buses running in Chilliwack, but has cancelled its HandyDart service for the day.
• Chilliwack meterologist Roger Pannett reported 12.4 cm of snow (in Sardis) from 4 p.m. Monday to 7:30 a.m. Tuesday, with blowing snow causing larger accumulation in some areas.
Environment Canada announced a snowfall warning advisory for Chilliwack, Abbotsford and Hope early Tuesday morning, along with wind and a high of -3C. A mix of rain and snow flurries is expected to start Wednesday.
Drive BC has these safety reminders for drivers today:
• Please remember to fully clean the snow off your car before you start driving.
• In snow, dusk, fog, or rain turn on headlights and tail lights
• Please slow down and drive to conditions, posted speed limits are for ideal road conditions
⚠️ Please remember to fully clean the snow off your car before you start driving. ⚠️
⚠️ In SNOW, dusk, fog, or rain turn on headlights and tail lights ⚠️
⚠️Please slow down and drive to conditions, posted speed limits are for ideal road conditions ⚠️
— Drive BC (@DriveBC) February 12, 2019