A battery from an RV was likely the cause of an early-morning garage fire in Greendale on Tuesday.
Around 4:15 a.m. on May 25, the Chilliwack Fire Department was called to the fire on Arnold Road after the occupant of the home called 911.
He had put his recreational vehicle battery on a charger to charge overnight and in the early morning, he heard a noise coming from the attached garage and went in to investigate. He saw grey smoke in the garage, called 911 and told others in the home to evacuate.
Firefighters from Halls 1, 4, 6 responded and when the first crew arrived, there was heavy grey smoke coming from the garage and a small fire on a workbench where the battery charger was kept.
They quickly extinguished the fire and proceeded with overhaul and salvage operations. The garage sustained smoke damage and minor fire damage to the immediate area around the workbench.
“The lithium battery charger was charging a lithium RV battery and was likely the cause of the fire,” Chilliwack Fire Department officials said in a press release.
No one was injured from the fire and the residents of the home were able to back inside the house afterwards.
Chilliwack Fire Department recommends when charging a recreational vehicle battery, always follow the manufacturer safety instructions that come with the device. Never leave the area unattended when charging in case the battery overheats. Always charge the battery in a well-ventilated area. Charging batteries should always be done on a non-combustible surface and away from combustibles.