A rural home was destroyed on Tuesday night on Whelpton Road, leaving its occupants without a place to live.
The fire broke out just before 10 p.m., said Deputy Chief Gerald Basten of the Agassiz Fire Department. It’s believed that the fire started in the garage and spread to the home from there.
Agassiz Fire Department responded with mutual aid from Popkum Fire Department. The home is outside of the community water supply, so there are no hydrants nearby. Popkum brought in a water tender to help shuttle water to the fire. The house is also set back from the road.
Basten said both of the occupants got out of the home safely and without injury. However, at least one part of the home is beyond repair.
“Part of the home is a total loss completely destroyed, collapsed,” he said. “They lost both their vehicles in the driveway as well.”
Basten said they were heading out Wednesday morning to further investigate the fire, along with the insurance company.