A passerby saw flames shooting out of a second-floor balcony in the 45000-block of Spadina Avenue and quickly called 911.
The Chilliwack Fire Department got the call Tuesday, (Dec. 20) at 3:35 a.m. and 20 firefighters responded from Halls 1 and 4.
On arrival, fire crews confirmed that there was a working structure fire in the four-storey multi-tenant complex.
It was later determined to have been sparked from smoking materials that were not put out completely.
“Fire crews performed an exterior attack and worked quickly to knock the fire down and extinguish, minimizing fire damage to the balcony,” according to assistant fire chief Mike Bourdon.
Tenants of the apartment suite were home at the time of the fire, and sustained minor smoke inhalation. They were transported to Chilliwack General Hospital by BC Ambulance Service to be checked out in hospital.
There were no firefighter injuries and tenants were allowed to go back into the building shortly after the fire was extinguished.
The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental, started by improper disposal of smoking materials.
That prompted a safety reminder:
“The Chilliwack Fire Department would like to remind residents to use deep, sturdy ashtrays wherever they smoke. If ashtrays are not available, use a metal can or pail.
“Never empty smoking material directly into a trash can. Place the ashtrays or metal cans away from anything that can burn.”
Do you have something to add to this story, or a news tip? Email: