A mattress that caught fire resulted in the evacuation of an entire apartment building in Chilliwack Friday morning.
The Chilliwack Fire Department (CFD) was called to the 9400-block of Cook Street around 7:50 a.m. on July 23 for a report of a fire in a ground-floor unit of the three-storey Driftwood Apartments building.
Fifteen firefighters responded from Halls 1 and 4 and were able to quickly suppress a mattress that was on fire in the bedroom. The apartment unit sustained smoke damage.
The occupants of the unit had working smoke alarms and closed the door to the bedroom before they evacuated which helped to contain the fire to the mattress.
There were no civilian or fire fighter injuries. All residents evacuated the building safely and were able to return back later that morning.
The fire is accidental at this time.
“Chilliwack Fire Department would like to take this opportunity to remind residents to keep matches and lighters up high out of the reach of children, in a locked cabinet,” CFD stated in a press release.