Clean up kits were distributed to Fort Mac residents courtesy of the Red Cross to help begin the recovery process. (Canadian Red Cross photo)

UPDATED: B.C. matching Red Cross donations for victims of wildfires

Donations being taken by many organizations, BC Hydro waiving bills

As the wildfire threat in B.C. grows, organizations are taking donations to help those who have been forced to leave home, or worse, those whose homes have been destroyed.

The Canadian Red Cross is working alongside the province, local authorities, and First Nations leadership to plan how to help those affected. The province announced Friday it will be matching all Red Cross donations up to $20 million.

Donations will be matched until Oct. 12.

You can donate to them online at www.redcross.ca, by calling 1-800-418-1111, to help supply cots, blankets, food, clothing and other personal items to the roughly 3,000 who’ve been displaced.

Donations are also being accepted by Food Banks BC, The Salvation Army, United Way, and BC Liquor Stores.

Each group is collecting funds for direct relief, assisting in long-term rebuilding efforts, or forwarding funds to organizations like the Red Cross. To find a full list, click here.

B.C. Wildfires 2018: The latest on major blazes across the province

Meanwhile, BC Hydro is providing bill credits to customers who have been forced out.

The utility is working with local authorities to identify both residential and commercial customers in evacuation areas, and will automatically apply a credit to the account for the electricity consumed during the period they are out of the home or business because of evacuation order.

Customers who have lost their homes will have charges from their last bill waived, as well as any charges for electricity used prior to the wildfire.

Customers on evacuation alert may be able to defer bill payments or arrange a flexible payment plan, and can call BC Hydro at 1-800-BCHYDRO (1-800-224-9376) to discuss options.


@ashwadhwani
ashley.wadhwani@bpdigital.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

WATCH: Group of 150 gather for Fraser Valley Marches for Women in Chilliwack

Waving signs, women make their way down Young Road as part of second annual march in Chilliwack

Chilliwack prolific offender wanted yet again

B.C.-wide warrant issued for David Allen Geoghegan

One man, two women charged with stolen pickup downtown Chilliwack

None of the three have criminal history in B.C.

COLUMN: Should elected officials block constituents and reporters on social media?

Ottawa mayor was sued for doing that but a Chilliwack school trustee didn’t get that message

Chilliwack-Hope MP says new summer jobs grant application no longer includes ‘values test’

Those with anti-abortion beliefs left out last year because of requirement to respect the Charter

VIDEO: Students in MAGA hats mock Native American at Indigenous Peoples March

Diocese in Kentucky says it is investigating the matter, caught on video by onlookers

Want to avoid the speculation tax on your vacant home? Rent it out, Horgan says

Premier John Horgan and Sheila Malcolmson say speculation and vacancy tax addresses homelessness

CONSUMER REPORT: What to buy each month in 2019 to save money

Resolve to buy all of the things you want and need, but pay less money for them

UPDATE: B.C. woman and boy, 6, found safe, RCMP confirm

Roseanne Supernault says both she and her six-year-old nephew are fine and she has contacted police

PHOTOS: Women’s Marches take to the streets across B.C. and beyond

Women and allies marched worldwide protesting violence against women, calling for equality

Anxiety in Alaska as endless aftershocks rattle residents

Seismologists expect the temblors to continue for months, although the frequency has lessened

Women’s March returns across the U.S. amid shutdown and controversy

The original march in 2017, the day after President Donald Trump’s inauguration, drew hundreds of thousands of people

Federal Liberals announce former B.C. MLA as new candidate in byelection

Richard Lee will face off against federal NDP leader Jagmeet Singh

No winning ticket in $10 million Lotto Max jackpot

No win in Friday night’s draw means the next Lotto Max draw will be approximately $17 million

Most Read