It was smoking materials in a plant pot Sunday that caused a fire on the balcony of a Chilliwack home.
Chilliwack Fire Department responded to a structure fire in the 5600-block of Kathleen Drive called in at about 4:30 p.m. on July 26.
“Neighbours saw flames on the balcony of the home and alerted the occupants to the fire,” according to a news release from Chilliwack Fire.
They called 911 and began fighting the fire with a garden hose.
Firefighters responded from Halls 1, 4, and 6, and found the fire had been extinguished upon arrival. Fire crews checked to make sure the fire was out and that it had not extended into the structure.
The home suffered minor fire damage but there were no civilian or firefighter injuries.
The fire “appeared to be accidental” and caused by discarded smoking materials in a plant pot, fire officials said.
“Chilliwack Fire Department reminds the public to ensure smoking materials are fully extinguished in an approved container.”
Do you have something to add to this story, or something else we should report on? Email:
Want to support local journalism during the pandemic? Make a donation here.