A house was destroyed by a fire in Agassiz Monday morning, but the family living there escaped without serious injuries.
Fire crews from Agassiz, Popkum and Seabird attended the fire, which at times was shooting several feet into the air. Fire crews entered the home and extinguished the flames, and BC Hydro arrived on scene to disconnect power to the home.
Agassiz Fire Chief Wayne Dyer said it’s been confirmed that the fire started with some old electrical wires in the attic, which set fire to the wood joists. While the fire didn’t enter the home, the fire suppression efforts damaged the home completely. In addition, Dyer said, the home had asbestos.
The family took refuge in a neighbour’s house and has been put in contact with emergency social services. As soon as the news of the fire began to spread, people from all over Chilliwack and Agassiz began to offer up donations of furniture and clothing to help the family get back on their feet before Christmas, and to help dress them through the winter.
The family has three adults, and four children. The daughters are ages seven, eight and 10, and the son is 13. The girls’ clothing sizes are 6x through 8, and the boy is waist size 30-32 men’s. The mother is a size medium (or size 5) and the father is an extra large.
A friend of the family has told the Observer that the family is in need of everything from clothing (including winter clothes), to all manner of furniture and household goods. They are also now searching for a new place to live, as the house was completely destroyed by the fire and smoke. They are hoping to stay in Agassiz, as they don’t want to have their children change schools. The family also has a dog.
“I hope the community can come together and help this family in the time of need, my heart breaks for them even more so as it is almost Christmas,” their friend Heather Davis said.
She said donations can be dropped of at 1865 Agassiz Ave., in Agassiz.
A relative of the family, Jeannette Foster, has set up a Go Fund Me account to help the family rebuild their lives. She says the family is currently living in a travel trailer, after the fire that started in the home’s attic displaced them. The link is www.gofundme.com/hgju3g. At press time, only $10 had been raised toward a total goal of $5,000.