Agassiz fire chief Wayne Dyer on scene at a house fire in Agassiz on Monday morning.

Fire destroys home in Agassiz

Crews from Agassiz, Seabird and Popkum fought Monday morning house fire

A house was destroyed by a fire in Agassiz Monday morning, but the family living there escaped without serious injuries.

Fire crews from Agassiz, Popkum and Seabird attended the fire, which at times was shooting several feet into the air. Fire crews entered the home and extinguished the flames, and BC Hydro arrived on scene to disconnect power to the home.

Agassiz Fire Chief Wayne Dyer said it’s been confirmed that the fire started with some old electrical wires in the attic, which set fire to the wood joists. While the fire didn’t enter the home, the fire suppression efforts damaged the home completely. In addition, Dyer said, the home had asbestos.

The family took refuge in a neighbour’s house and has been put in contact with emergency social services. As soon as the news of the fire began to spread, people from all over Chilliwack and Agassiz began to offer up donations of furniture and clothing to help the family get back on their feet before Christmas, and to help dress them through the winter.

The family has three adults, and four children. The daughters are ages seven, eight and 10, and the son is 13. The girls’ clothing sizes are 6x through 8, and the boy is waist size 30-32 men’s. The mother is a size medium (or size 5) and the father is an extra large.

A friend of the family has told the Observer that the family is in need of everything from clothing (including winter clothes), to all manner of furniture and household goods. They are also now searching for a new place to live, as the house was completely destroyed by the fire and smoke. They are hoping to stay in Agassiz, as they don’t want to have their children change schools. The family also has a dog.

“I hope the community can come together and help this family in the time of need, my heart breaks for them even more so as it is almost Christmas,” their friend Heather Davis said.

She said donations can be dropped of at 1865 Agassiz Ave., in Agassiz.

A relative of the family, Jeannette Foster, has set up a Go Fund Me account to help the family rebuild their lives. She says the family is currently living in a travel trailer, after the fire that started in the home’s attic displaced them. The link is www.gofundme.com/hgju3g. At press time, only $10 had been raised toward a total goal of $5,000.

news@ahobserver.com

Just Posted

The Scott Kelby Worldwide Photowalk strolls into Chilliwack next month

Photographers meet up to spend a few hours socializing, capturing images, and sharing with like-minded people

Libraries call on reading buddies, dads to take part in literacy programs in Chilliwack

The annual Reading Buddies program and the brand-new Man in the Moon story time start this month

Westbound crash on Highway 1 in Langley causing extreme traffic delays

Collision occured just after Glover Road, cars backed up all the way to 264th Street

Chilliwack Chiefs blow out Prince George Spruce Kings in home opener

Ethan Bowen scored three goals as the Chiefs dumped their Mainland division rivals 6-2.

Missing Chilliwack 17-year-old last seen on August 20

RCMP asking public for help to find Lorenz Pentz

VIDEO: A moment to remember during the World Lacrosse Men’s Indoor Championship in B.C.

Diego Hernandez Valenzuela’s team lost, but he felt like a winner Saturday

Over 200 Hotel Georgia hospitality workers join ‘open-ended strike’

Unionized workers at Hyatt Regency, Westin Bayshore and Pinnacle Harbourfront have also walked out

B.C. Lions hype-man marks 15 years of cheers

Crazy P cheers, chants, bangs his drum and spreads a message of love

Hiker rescued after spending night on Crown Mountain

North Shore Rescue spotted the woman by helicopter over Hanes Valley

PHOTOS: Steller sea lion with plastic around neck rescued on Vancouver Island

Rescue staff determined the plastic band cut the protected animal’s neck approximately two inches

B.C. VIEWS: School officials join fact-free ‘climate strike’

Students, public get distorted picture of greenhouse gases

Handgun crackdown, health spending and transit plans latest campaign promises

Friday was the end of a busy week on the campaign trail

B.C. woman photographs massive ant swarm on Abbotsford driveway

She asked what the ants were doing? The answer: war

Iconic 90s TV show ‘Friends’ celebrates 25th anniversary

The iconic, decade-long television show aired its first episode 25 years ago today

Most Read