Firefighters battle a townhouse fire on Hudson Road Tuesday night.

Firefighters battle a townhouse fire on Hudson Road Tuesday night.

Fire damages townhouse in Promontory

A fire broke out in a townhouse unit on Hudson Road in Promontory Heights just after 10 p.m. Tuesday night.



The late-night fire Tuesday on Promontory Heights might have been started by a half-extinguished cigarette.

When crews arrived some time after 10 p.m., flames were escaping from the roof of a townhouse complex at 46778 Hudson Road.

Residents from nearby units had already been safely evacuated.

One of the townhouses was completely destroyed on the top two floors, and the residents were not home at the time of the fire. Units on either side of the blaze sustained water and heat damage.

The fire likely started on the back deck of the townhouse, possibly by a cigarette butt that was not entirely put out.

“But the incident is not believed to be suspicious,” said RCMP Cpl. Tammy Hollingsworth.

“Although this is absolutely devastating for the people who live there, we are all happy that everyone is safe.”

Video by Geoff Edwards/streamworks.ca