Staff who tried to put out a small fire at a Chilliwack hotel on their own did a “tremendous job,” according to Chilliwack Fire Department officials.
Fire crews were dispatched Wednesday to the Travelodge Chilliwack on Yale Road at about 10 a.m.
“Staff fought the fire with fire extinguishers, but were overcome by smoke and did the right thing by evacuating this two-storey hotel building,” said Mike Bourdon, assistant fire chief, Chilliwack Fire Department.
Firefighters arrived to find the fire limited to a first-floor unit, and quickly extinguished what was left of it.
“It should be noted that staff did a tremendous job following fire safety procedures, which included activating the fire alarm system and coordinating a safe evacuation of all occupants within the building,” Bourdon.
There were no civilian or firefighter injuries.
The cause of the fire was accidental.