Industrial Way fire had 13 firefighters from Chilliwack Fire Department called out on Jan. 27. (City of Chilliwack Webmap)

Industrial Way fire had 13 firefighters from Chilliwack Fire Department called out on Jan. 27. (City of Chilliwack Webmap)

Early-morning fire broke out on Industrial Way in Chilliwack

Improperly disposed of oily rags caused fire in plastic garbage can, say Chilliwack Fire officials

A pre-dawn fire in an industrial section of Chilliwack was caused by improper disposal of oily rags, according to the Chilliwack Fire Department.

Thirteen firefighters from fire halls 1, 4, and 6 were called out at 4:45 a.m. to the structure fire in one of the units of an industrial complex.

Upon arrival crews found black smoke billowing from the building.

“Crews gained entry to the unit and were able to quickly extinguish a small fire in a plastic garbage can full of oily rags,” said Mike Bourdon, assistant fire chief.

The building sustained smoke damage to two units but there were no civilian or firefighter injuries.

“The cause of the fire was due to improper storage of solvent-wet rags used for cleaning,” Bourdon added.

“Chilliwack Fire Department would like to remind business owners who use flammable liquids on rags for cleaning, to dispose the rags in a tightly-sealed metal container, or hang them outside to dry in a cool, shady location away from structures, and then discard them.”

It’s important to ensure they are not stored in a pile or in an open garbage can.

RELATED: Challenging industrial fire on Industrial last April

Do you have something to add to this story, or a news tip? Email:
jfeinberg@theprogress.com


@CHWKjourno
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

City of Chilliwackfire