A gas station in Yarrow caught fire early Wednesday morning.
It happened at the Fas Gas on Yarrow Central Road around 6:30 a.m. on Nov. 10. An employee had just opened the store for business and could smell and see a thin layer of smoke in the store. They quickly called 911 and exited the building.
When the Chilliwack Fire Department arrived on scene, smoke was seen coming from the roof.
“Crews quickly entered the building, located the fire in the attic space above the retail section of the building and deployed an offensive attack to knock down the fire,” said assistant fire chief Mike Bourdon. “As a result of their swift actions, the fire was contained to the attic and roof structure on the corner of the building preventing further damage to the remaining roof structure from fire.”
Traffic on Yarrow Central Road was completely blocked in both directions as emergency crews dealt with the fire.
More than 30 firefighters responded from Halls 1, 3, 4 and 6. There were no civilian or firefighter injuries reported at this fire and the cause of this fire is accidental.
“The Chilliwack Fire Department would like to remind the public to have heating equipment inspected and serviced at least once a year by a qualified professional.”