Chilliwack RCMP are warning drivers not to leave their vehicles running during the cold weather while they dash into a store or leave their vehicles unattended while warming up for work.
A couple of auto thefts have been reported recently, mainly in the downtown area, RCMP Const. Tracy Wolbeck said.
“Motorists should either shut off their vehicle or remain inside when warming it up in the morning,” Cpl. Tammy Hollingsworth said.
“It only takes a second for the opportunist thief to slip into the driver’s seat, and your vehicle is gone,” she said.
Here’s some tips from the RCMP:
– always use your garage, if you can;
– never leave original ownership or driver’s licence in your car. A copy of ownership and insurance documents is acceptable, if required by police;
– never hide spare keys in your vehicle;
– never leave your car idling unattended;
– never leave valuables in your car;
– never leave children in an idling car.
If you see any suspicious activity in your neighbourhood, report it to the local RCMP detachment or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.