Chilliwack townhouse complex evacuated

Residents of a four-unit townhouse complex in Sardis were evacuated after one of the units erupted in flames shortly after midnight Monday.

CHILLIWACK – An unoccupied townhouse unit on Sappers’ Way in Sardis went up in flames early Tuesday morning, but nearby residents in the four-unit complex were evacuated as a safety precaution.

Assistant Fire Chief Jim MacDonald said firefighters were able to get a handle on the fire “relatively easy,” but residents in the three adjoining units were evacuated in case the flames spread.

“We didn’t want to take any chances with lives,” he said.

The evacuated residents were able to return to their homes, but the people living in the fire unit, who were not at home at the time of the fire, will have to wait because of “significant” fire damage.

How the fire started and how long it was burning before the 1:47 fire call is under investigation.

MacDonald said the unit on fire was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived, but the other units were “relatively unscathed” probably due to building codes that prevented the spread of the fire.

“It’s a testament to the way we build things that it didn’t spread as quickly,” he said.