Chilliwack residents reminded to ‘stand by your pan’ after kitchen fire Tuesday

Unattended pot on stove leads to fire and smoke damage in McIntosh apartment unit

The Chilliwack Fire Department (CFD) is reminding residents to always turn off stove elements when leaving the kitchen after an unattended pot led to an apartment fire on Tuesday.

It was at approximately 5 p.m. on June 18 when firefighters from five halls were dispatched to a report of a structure fire in an apartment complex in the 45000-block of McIntosh Drive.

Neighbours saw black smoke venting from several windows of the apartment and called the fire department.

On arrival firefighters reported seeing black smoke venting from a first floor apartment. Occupants were not home at the time of the fire, and neighbours had tried initiating fire control measures, according to the CFD.

Fire crews set up an offensive attack and quickly brought the fire under control, containing the damage to the suite of origin.

The interior of the apartment suffered minor fire and moderate smoke damage. One civilian received minor lacerations while accessing a fire extinguisher mounted in the hallway of the apartment complex, and was treated at the scene. There were no firefighter injuries.

The CFD reports the fire appeared to be accidental, caused by a pot left on the stove.

The public is reminded that the leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking. People should stay in the kitchen when frying, boiling, grilling or broiling food, and burners should be turned off when leaving the kitchen for any reason.

• RELATED: ‘Stand by your pan’ Chilliwack Fire Department warns after kitchen fire

• RELATED: Woman dies in accidental fire in Vancouver’s Yaletown


@PeeJayAitch
paul.henderson@theprogress.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Birdies fly fast and furious at Chilliwack Badminton Club

The competitive club meets twice weekly in the Rosedale Traditional Community School gymnasium.

Chilliwack school board votes 4-3 not to oppose homeless shelter location

‘The Portal is a response to the problems, not the other way around’: Trustee Willow Reichelt

Take a nostalgic journey with Doug and the Slugs in Chilliwack

Popular Vancouver ’80s band is at the Chilliwack Cultural Centre on Oct. 18

Symphony set to spook spectators in Chilliwack

The Chilliwack Metropolitan Orchestra presents Halloween Symphony Spooktacular on Oct. 27

Seven Days in Chilliwack

A list of community events happening in Chilliwack from Oct. 14 to 20

VIDEO: #MeToo leader launches new hashtag to mobilize voters

Tarana Burke hopes to prompt moderators to ask about sexual violence at next debate

B.C. boosts legal aid funding in new payment contract

‘Duty counsel’ service restored in some communities, David Eby says

Rugby Canada helps recovery efforts in Japan after typhoon cancels final match

Canadian players wanted to “give back in whatever small way they could”

$100,000 reward for B.C. gangster extended to United States

Police belive fugitive Conor D’Monte may be in the Los Angeles area

Cheating husband sues mistress for gifted ring after wife learns about affair

The husband gave his mistress $1,000 to buy herself a ring in December 2017

Emily Carr University closed Sunday after fire causes some damage

The school is working with Vancouver police to assist their investigation into the fire

After losing two baby boys, B.C. parents hope to cut through the taboo of infant death

Oct. 15 is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Day in B.C.

Alberta to join B.C.’s class-action lawsuit against opioid manufacturers, distributors

B.C. government claims opioids were falsely marketed as less addictive than other pain meds

Court bans striking workers at Vancouver hotel from using sirens

Rosewood Hotel Georgia granted court order against unionized workers

Most Read