Chilliwack firefighters issue warning over heat lamp use after barn fire

Being used to keep piglets warm; extinguished by homeowners

The Chilliwack Fire Department is issuing a warning over the use of heat lamps after a fire at a chicken barn on Camp River Road.

The heat lamp was being used to keep piglets warm.

On Nov. 22, at approximately 4 a.m. crews were dispatched to a reported structure fire located in a chicken barn in the 48000-block of Camp

River Rd.

• RELATED: 6,000 chickens lost in Chilliwack barn fire

Firefighters responded from Halls 1, 2, and 4, and on arrival, reported light smoke venting from inside the structure. Occupants were home at the time of the fire and quickly extinguished the fire with a garden hose.

The fire was confined to a small workshop within the barn. Fire crews setup and overhauled the fire area ensuring no extension to the rest of the structure.

• RELATED: Hop processing barn destroyed by fire in Sardis

There were no civilian, firefighter, or animal injuries.

“This fire appears to be accidental and caused by a heat lamp used to keep some piglets warm,” the fire department said in a press release. “Chilliwack Fire Dept. wants to remind the public that animals are unpredictable and can knock heat sources over. Please follow the manufacturer recommendations when using portable heat sources to keep areas warm.”


@PeeJayAitch
paul.henderson@theprogress.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Chilliwack churns out new generation of wildfire fighters

School district partners with B.C. Wildfire Service to prep Grade 12s for careers

Bucket-list flight for Chilliwack grandmother

Hampton House resident treated to a beautiful plane ride in Moments that Matter

UFV introduces first mindfulness graduate program in Canada

Most of the University of the Fraser Valley program is offered online

Missing man from Chilliwack was riding a silver mountain bike

RCMP investigators are asking the public to keep an eye out for the 70-year-old man

Enjoy the enchanting and powerful sounds of the cello at the Chilliwack Cultural Centre

Join cellist Beth Root Sandvoss as she performs Cellicious, a concert full of energy and intensity

Fierce feline spotted as ‘aggressor’ in face off with coyote in B.C. backyard

North Vancouver resident Norm Lee captures orange cat versus coyote in backyard showdown

Kater to launch ridesharing service in Vancouver by end of month

The Surrey-based company got its permits from the Vancouver Taxi Association

Surrey RCMP investigate alleged assault that may have been a ‘driver dispute’

Police say a vehicle fled the scene after an alleged assault this morning at 96th Avenue and 152nd Street

Second case of measles reported in the B.C. Interior

Case is connected to an earlier measles case in 100 Mile House

Police watchdog investigating after man falls out third-storey window in Vancouver

The man fell to the ground and was taken to hospital with serious injuries

Cheetahs will not prosper in Creston: Permit rejected for two big cats

Earl Pfeifer owns two cheetahs, one of which escaped in December 2015

GM announces jobs, electric vehicle after Trump criticism

The company says it will spend $300 million at its plant in Orion Township

Trucker who caused Broncos crash likely to be deported: lawyer

The Crown has asked that Sidhu serve 10 years in prison

Most Read