The Chilliwack Fire Department is issuing a warning over the use of heat lamps after a fire at a chicken barn on Camp River Road.
The heat lamp was being used to keep piglets warm.
On Nov. 22, at approximately 4 a.m. crews were dispatched to a reported structure fire located in a chicken barn in the 48000-block of Camp
Firefighters responded from Halls 1, 2, and 4, and on arrival, reported light smoke venting from inside the structure. Occupants were home at the time of the fire and quickly extinguished the fire with a garden hose.
The fire was confined to a small workshop within the barn. Fire crews setup and overhauled the fire area ensuring no extension to the rest of the structure.
There were no civilian, firefighter, or animal injuries.
“This fire appears to be accidental and caused by a heat lamp used to keep some piglets warm,” the fire department said in a press release. “Chilliwack Fire Dept. wants to remind the public that animals are unpredictable and can knock heat sources over. Please follow the manufacturer recommendations when using portable heat sources to keep areas warm.”