Myra Panteluk was left homeless after a June 6 fire gutted the cabin duplex she was living in. The 66-year-old had been evicted but never left. She was using candles because the landlord had cut off electricity and water. (Paul Henderson/ The Progress)

Chilliwack fire victim was using candles after landlord cut electricity

But landlord says unit at Green Gables RV park should have been empty as 66-year-old woman evicted

Some neighbours of a woman who barely escaped a recent fire in a dilapidated cabin in a Chilliwack trailer park say the landlord has to be held partly to blame.

Myra Panteluk was living in the unit at the Green Gables Motel & Trailer Park with no electricity and no water, both having been cut off by her Abbotsford landlord.

The 66-year-old with health issues had been evicted from the unit but, having nowhere else to go, she stayed on using candles for light.

Candles that caused the fire.

“It’s unbelievable how much I had to endure,” Panteluk said a few days after the fire, staying with a friend in a run-down trailer in the park.

It was June 6 when the Chilliwack Fire Department responded to the report of a structure fire at approximately 6 a.m.

• READ MORE: Chilliwack trailer park fire sends one to hospital

Panteluk’s friend and neighbour at Green Gables, Chad Juba, went over to her place after 5 a.m. to borrow a cigarette for his wife, he said.

When he opened the door, he was met with thick black smoke. He hurried to wake up Panteluk, who was in a deep sleep.

“I grabbed her and yelled, ‘We gotta go!’” Juba said.

“He’s the one who saved my life,” Panteluk said.

The fire destroyed the unit, and Panteluk was taken to hospital, essentially uninjured.

Landlord Dan Lang with Re/Max Little Oak Realty in Abbotsford confirmed the utilities had been cut off.

“That is correct,” Lang told The Progress in a phone conversation recently. “But it was also supposed to be vacant. She had moved out two weeks prior. She told us she had moved out, she had moved to a shelter. During that time we shut off the utilities to the entire complex.”

There were conflicting accounts between Panteluk and Lang over her eviction, but even Panteluk concedes she lost an arbitration hearing months ago. But since she had nowhere to go, she just never left. She also claims she kept giving rent cheques, which were cashed, something Lang denies.

So did the landlords know she was in there when the fire happened?

“She was [in there] but she had given up possession of it. We had cut off the water and the gas and the electricity, which is why she was in there with a candle,” Lang said.

But both Panteluk and Juba said she had never left the unit, and utilities were cut off knowing the 66-year-old woman, otherwise destitute with health problems and dealing with the recent death of her husband, was still inside.

“I can attest she never [moved out] as well as half a dozen others,” Juba said. “As well, I can attest because I gave her help and can say she lost her arbitration in the month of March.”

Another tenant of Green Gables confirmed to The Progress that Panteluk had never left and that the landlords cut off the water and power knowing she was still there.

During the fire, Panteluk also says she asked neighbours for water to help put out what at that time was a candle fire but she was rebuffed. She said she was told by neighbours the landlord told them not to help her.

“I asked for a pail of water, I said ‘help me,’ and they said they can’t,” an emotional Panteluk recounted.

But Lang insisted he did not know Panteluk was essentially squatting in what should have been an empty building.

“That would not be true,” Lang said of the claims he ordered residents not to help her. “We didn’t know she was living in there.”

Part of the issue is that the landlord might not have known anything about what was happening at the complex since he is based in Abbotsford and almost never attends, according to Juba.

After the fire, crews were brought in to board up the empty units. But problems with these units were widely known, and the landlords did little by way of upkeep, according to some.

When cabins were torn down across the street from Green Gables in the summer of 2017 to build townhouses, a Green Gables resident expressed to The Progress her fear that the city would conduct building inspections on the dilapidated duplexes and force evictions, leaving her homeless.

• READ MORE: OPINION: Today’s precariously housed are tomorrow’s homeless

In some ways, Panteluk is representative of those on the knife’s edge of homelessness. Precariously housed in poor conditions, then evicted, then squatting in that same poor shelter, now with nowhere to go.

The unit never had a working toilet, and Panteluk said the stove didn’t work, something Lang disputed when asked.

Part of the criticism from neighbours over Panteluk is also that she helped out those most in need, allowing homeless people to sometimes sleep in her unit.

“They sleep on my floor just to get out of the cold,” she said. ““I’m not rich, but what I had I shared with them.”

She said she couldn’t find another place to rent, and she still can’t.

A GoFundMe has been set up for Panteluk to help her get settled somewhere else.


@PeeJayAitch
paul.henderson@theprogress.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

 

The June 6 fire at the Green Gables Motel and Trailer Park in Chilliwack destroyed the unit. It was allegedly caused by a candle a woman was using because power was cut off to the duplex.

The June 6 fire at the Green Gables Motel and Trailer Park in Chilliwack destroyed the unit. It was allegedly caused by a candle a woman was using because power was cut off to the duplex.

Just Posted

Drugs and guns seized by Chilliwack Mounties in complex case

Drug trafficking investigations led to five arrests in three different locations across Chilliwack

Chilliwack RCMP trying to catch robbery suspect

Police hope someone will identify the person who appears in security camera footage

Chilliwack churns out new generation of wildfire fighters

School district partners with B.C. Wildfire Service to prep Grade 12s for careers

Bucket-list flight for Chilliwack grandmother

Hampton House resident treated to a beautiful plane ride in Moments that Matter

UFV introduces first mindfulness graduate program in Canada

Most of the University of the Fraser Valley program is offered online

Protective human chain forms around Victoria mosque for Friday prayer

Islanders stand arm-in-arm to show support in aftermath of New Zealand shootings

2 fires in Victoria caused by cigarettes prompts warning from deputy fire chief

Two separate fires caused by cigarette butts were avoidable

98-year-old cyclist in critical condition after struck by car in Abbotsford

83-year-old driver stayed on scene and did not suffer any injuries in the incident

Wildlife activists slam B.C. business, clubs for ‘wolf-whacking’ contests

Chilcotin Guns, Creston Valley Rod and Gun Club and West Kootenay Outdoorsmen Club under fire

VIDEO: Giants take a 1-0 playoff series lead

Vancouver beat Seattle 7-1 in game one of the best-of-seven Western Conference series in Langley

LETTER:Chilliwack trustee says dress code quotes out of context

Furgason says he wants to hear from parents, not union head

‘Families torn apart:’ Truck driver in fatal Broncos crash gets 8-year sentence

Judge Inez Cardinal told court in Melfort, Sask., that Sidhu’s remorse and guilty plea were mitigating factors

Boy who went missing from park remains largest probe in Victoria police history

The four-year old Victoria boy went missing without a trace on March 24, 1991

Six ‘distraction thefts’ in two days spark warning to seniors by Vancouver police

Distraction thefts are used to steal jewelry off the necks of unsuspecting women

Most Read