Chilliwack Fire Department.

Chilliwack Fire Department.

Chilliwack fire prompts cold weather warning

Residential apartment fire Monday evening blamed on combustibles too near a heat source

  • Feb. 7, 2017 1:00 p.m.

With cold weather here and a Winter Storm Warning in effect the Chilliwack Fire Department is warning residents not to leave combustibles near heat sources after a fire Monday night.

On Feb. 6 at approximately 9:45 p.m. the Chilliwack Fire Department was dispatched to a reported structure fire in the 8900-block of School Street.

On arrival crews saw smoke from a second-storey apartment window of a four-storey residential building.

Firefighters responded from Halls 1 and 4. The sprinkler system was primarily responsible for extinguishing the fire, minimizing fire damage to the tenant’s unit.  The tenant was home at the time of the fire. There were no firefighter or civilian injuries.

The cause of the fire appears to be accidental.

The Chilliwack Fire Department is reminding residents to keep combustibles at least one metre away from heat sources.

Be Among The First To Know

Sign up for a free account today, and receive top headlines in you inbox Monday to Saturday.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.



Don't have an account? Click here to sign up