Chilliwack chimney fire causes minor damage

A sharp eyed resident of a Banford Road home helped prevent a chimney fire from doing more damage than it Sunday morning.

A sharp eyed resident of a Banford Road home helped prevent a chimney fire from doing more damage than it Sunday morning, Chilliwack fire officials say.

Firefighters got the call just after 8:30 a.m. When they arrived they found flames venting from the roof of a metal fireplace flue, with the fire starting to extend to the attic of the two-storey single family home.

Firefighters entered the home and quickly gained access to the attic and suppressed the fire. Fire damage is limited to the exterior roof and attic with very minor smoke damage inside the house.

The one tenant at home at the time had noticed an issue with the fireplace and placed the timely 9-1-1 call.

There were no firefighter injuries.

Cause of the fire is accidental and related to the fireplace.