Chilliwack Chiefs score seven in rout of Vernon Vipers

The offence poured it on in a Saturday night BCHL clash with their Interior conference foes.

Aaron O'Neill of the Chilliwack Chiefs loses his footing while handing the puck during a game against the Vernon Vipers at Prospera Centre on Saturday.

Aaron O'Neill of the Chilliwack Chiefs loses his footing while handing the puck during a game against the Vernon Vipers at Prospera Centre on Saturday.


The Chilliwack Chiefs got goals from seven different skaters as they vanquished the Vernon Vipers 7-2 Saturday night.

Mark Sinclair made 25 saves in goal as his Chiefs cruised to an easy victory over a lifeless opponent, stretching their winning streak to three.

Chilliwack improved to 8-4-1-0 while Vernon dropped to 6-5-2-0.

The Vipers got the start they wanted when Niko Karamanis lit the lamp just 1:54 into this one.

But the rest of the first period was disastrous for Vernon.

The Chiefs took little time to tie the game.

Colin Bernard’s wrist shot from the left point clanged off the right goal-post. Kale Kane dug away for the rebound, poking it into the crease where Jordan Kawaguchi popped it in for his eighth of the season.

Jake Smith gave Chilliwack the lead with a shorthanded goal. The New York native picked the pocket of Shane Kelly at the left point and took off on a breakaway. Smith snapped the puck past Vipes keeper Ty Taylor for his fourth of the year.

Kane had the Chiefs up 3-1 with a late goal. Flying down the right wing, he scooted past Michael Ufberg, cut across the blue paint and snuck the puck inside the left post for his fourth of the season.

Shots on goal through 20 minutes favoured Chilliwack 18-9.

The Chiefs added two more goals in the middle frame.

Tommy Lee got the first, with help from Taylor. The Vernon keeper made the stop on a Colin Bernard point shot and thought he had the puck hugged to his chest. But it dropped into the blue paint where Lee tapped it in.

Newly acquired Justin Dixson picked up his first point as a Chilliwack Chief at 15:37 when he set up Kohen Olischefski. Dixson darted behind the Vernon net, slammed on the breaks and put a pass into the goal-mouth. Olischefski finished for his fifth of the year, chasing Taylor from the net.

The Vernon keeper was pulled in favour of backup Cole Demers, who was called upon right away to make a huge save.

Kane was hauled down on a breakaway and awarded a penalty shot. The Quebec kid used a dozen head and stick dekes but couldn’t fool Demers, who held his ground and kept Vernon’s deficit at four.

Shots on goal through 40 minutes favoured Chilliwack 32-15.

On ‘Score Six Saturday’ it was Aaron O’Neill making 2,234 fans happy early in period three. When the Tennessee native slid the puck past Demers for the sixth Chilliwack goal, the Cookie Monster serenaded the crowd with ‘C is for Cookie.’

Fans were able to collect a voucher for two free Subway cookies on their way out of the building.

Connor McCarthy added one more goal for the Chiefs.

On a five-on-three power play the big man one timed a pass from Carver Watson, slamming the puck off the right post and in for his fifth of the year.

Jimmy Lambert scored a power play goal for Vernon with 2:43 remaining.

The three stars were Kawaguchi (first), Bernard (second) and Sinclair (third).

The Fortis BC Energy Player of the Game was Jake Smith.

The Chiefs host the Alberni Valley Bulldogs Sunday night (5 p.m.) at Prospera Centre.