Chilliwack firefighters were busy Monday morning, battling a pair of blazes.
Firefighters from three halls were called out just after midnight to a barn fire in the 5900 block of Sumas Prairie Road.
They arrived to find several connected barns on fire, with flames reaching out to damage an adjacent house.
The barns, which were being used to shelter a legal grow operation, couldn’t be saved. The house had some damage to the exterior siding and there were no injuries. The fire is considered to be accidental, possibly related to the grow operation.
Just after 3 a.m., a security guard at the Legacy Pacific site saw sparks and smoke coming from a building in the 44000 block of Simpson Road. Firefighters from four halls faced a tall task when they arrived.
A cover-all structure with agricultural products inside was ablaze, along with an adjacent agricultural manufacturing building. The cover-all structure and everything inside was completely destroyed. Firefighters extinguished the fire in time to save the adjacent building, save for minor fire and smoke damage.
There were no injuries.
The cause of the fire is considered accidental and is related to the spontaneous combustion of the stored agricultural products.