Chilliwack firefighters responded to a smoky barn fire Friday afternoon that shut down Yale Road in Rosedale.
No animals were injured in the blaze, which started at around 3 p.m. on a farm near where Yale Road and Old Yale Road meet.
— Greg Knill (@Chillout2Day) May 25, 2018
The barn was used to store tools and machinery, said a release by the Chilliwack Fire Department. The second floor housed a medical marijuana grow operation.
The owner was working within the barn grinding metal when a spark ignited a section of foam insulation which was used to insulate the barn. The owner tried to extinguisher the fire with a portable fire extinguisher but could see that the fire was getting out of control. He left the building in a safe manner and immediately called 911, the department said.
Due to the difficulty of trying to access the fire within the barn and to maintain a safe environment for fire fighters, Chilliwack Fire Department with the aid of an excavator operated by a private contractor had to demolish the barn to extinguish the fire.
There were no civilian or firefighter injuries.