A Chilliwack organization that’s been around for nearly 100 years and is in the process of closing down made a significant monetary donation to a local charity.
Members of the Atchelitz Farmers Institute (AFI) donated its bank funds totalling $89,000 to the Chilliwack Foundation.
It’s the second major donation the members have made in recent months. Back in the summer of 2021, AFI donated its hall and land to the City of Chilliwack.
The AFI was incorporated in 1925. Membership has dwindled over the years and when they donated the hall and property to the city, there were only seven members remaining.
Months later, they announced their financial donation to the Chilliwack Foundation.
“Chilliwack non-profit organizations will benefit from $39,000 when it is added to the semi-annual grant process,” the AFI stated in a press release. “The remaining $50,000 will be used to establish scholarships for graduating Chilliwack students, from both School District #33 and local Christian schools, who wish to pursue an education in either agriculture or horticulture.”
The AFI donated its property and the Atchelitz Hall on Lickman Road to the city in July. The hall has been around since 1913. As part of the donation agreement, the Atchelitz Women’s Institute (established in 1914) will continue to operate the hall and neighbouring school École La Vérendrye will continue using it for their athletic activities.
When the property donation was made, AFI president Pat MacPhail said he was “very happy” to see the hall would continue to be used.
Now the history of the AFI will live on, not just through the Atchelitz Hall, but via the monetary donation to the Chilliwack Foundation.
“In keeping with the original intent of the Atchelitz Farmers Institute, providing these scholarships will serve to continue the history of the institute and provide a legacy to future farmers,” AFI stated.