Police redirecting cars from the area due to a gas leak. Dan Ferguson Langley Times

Updated: Dog food factory named as source of ammonia leak in Langley Township

Fifty people evacuated from the Gloucester park, will not be able to return for up to 40 hours

  • Oct. 24, 2018 10:00 a.m.

A large area in the Gloucester industrial area of Langley Township has been evacuated due to an ammonia leak that occured around 7 a.m. today.

Gloucester Way is closed from 268th to 275th and 272nd is closed from 56th Avenue to Townshipline Road.

Township Deputy Fire Chief, Bruce Ferguson said the gas leak came from a freeze-dried dog food manufacturing company in the 5200 block of 272nd Street.

“They had a malfunction in their refrigeration system, which was venting ammonia into the atmosphere. Their service contractor is on scene and the leak is stopped. The material is contained in a vacuum container and is being held by vacuum pumps.”

Witnesses have been told they will have to wait up to 40 hours before they will be allowed back, and others have been told not to go into the area.

Dozens of emergency responders are on scene, including police and hazmat units.

Ferguson said the area is being closely monitored to ensure the vacuum pumps, which are holding the hazardous material, don’t fail.

“If the pumps fail, all that material will dump into the atmosphere and that’s what we don’t want, so that’s why we’re staying on scene and keeping the hot zone closed.”

Some businesses in the area are ‘sheltered in place,’ meaning they are still operating and workers will be escorted out of the hot zone when they are off shift.

Approximately 400 people are sheltered in place at work and 50 others have been evacuated.

The hot zone of the ammonia leak is the area within 1,000 feet of where the leak occurred.

Rod Farquharson, director of Cintas Uniform Services, which neighbours the dog food manufacturer, said all of his employees have been evacuated.

“Our business will obviously be impacted, so I’m coming back to help with the team. We were told it happened at 7 a.m. and that it would be between 24-40 hours.”

Ammonia is corrosive and can cause severe skin burns and eye damage.

Exposure to very high concentrations of gaseous ammonia can result in lung damage and death.

READ ALSO: Aging cooling system behind B.C. fatal ammonia leak needed replacing in 2010: report

 

A map of the properties that are affected by road closures. Courtesy Township of Langley

Just Posted

FVRD chair calls B.C. incineration plan for Philippines waste ‘disturbing’

Metro Vancouver ‘uniquely capable’ of safely disposing of waste coming back to Canada, say officials

RCMP believe Missing Hope teenager was headed to Chilliwack

Keely Reeze Loewen, 18, last in contact with a family member on June 13

Chilliwack residents reminded to ‘stand by your pan’ after kitchen fire Tuesday

Unattended pot on stove leads to fire and smoke damage in McIntosh apartment unit

Session will help Chilliwack seniors with paperwork plans

The June 25 info session will cover POAs, wills, and more

Question period won’t change after Chilliwack trustee motion fails

Public participation will continue to be limited to items on the night’s agenda

VIDEO: ‘Avengers: Endgame’ to be re-released with new footage

‘Avatar’ holds global box office record at $2.788 billion, while ‘Endgame’ stands at $2.743 billion…

B.C. teen killed by falling tree near Victoria

Second youth also injured in freak incident during field trip at Camp Barnard near Sooke

Elias Pettersson wins Calder Trophy as NHL’s top rookie

Vancouver forward first Canuck to win award since Pavel Bure in 1992

VIDEO: Acknowledging skeptics, finance minister vows to build Trans Mountain project

Bill Morneau said he recognizes ‘huge amount of anxiety’ in Calgary over future of oil and gas sector

Shovels could be in the ground on Trans Mountain by September, CEO says

Ian Anderson points to weeks likely required for NEB to reinstate 2016 regulatory record

Scorpion gives birth after hitching ride in B.C. woman’s luggage

A Vancouver woman inadvertently brought the animal home from a trip to Cuba

RCMP allows officers to grow beards

Members can now wear beards and goatees, as long as they’re neatly groomed

Girl, 10, poisoned by carbon monoxide at B.C. campsite could soon return home

Lucille Beaurain died and daughter Micaela Walton, 10, was rushed to B.C. Children’s Hospital on May 18

30 years later: B.C. woman uses sidewalk chalk to reclaim site of her sexual assault

Vancouver woman didn’t think her powerful story, written in chalk, would ignite such support

Most Read