Abbotsford man guilty of sex assault involving two girls ages 12 and 13

An Abbotsford man was found guilty on Wednesday in Chilliwack Supreme Court of sexual offences involving two girls aged 12 and 13.

An Abbotsford man was found guilty on Wednesday in Chilliwack Supreme Court of sexual offences involving two girls aged 12 and 13.

Shaun Michael Sloat, 33, is scheduled to be sentenced Feb. 13 on two counts of sexual assault and one count of sexual interference, occurring in November 2007.

Sloat was charged in August 2009 after an extensive investigation by the Abbotsford Police Department (APD).

Const. Ian MacDonald said the matter was brought to the APD’s attention in February 2009, when a youth worker reported that an older man was befriending some young girls to whom she was providing support.

MacDonald said police then conducted an extensive investigation, and allegations began to emerge that there had been sexual contact between the man and girls aged 12 to 14.

The abuse had apparently taken place at the man’s house, where he invited the teens to hang out.

MacDonald said the difficulty was in finding victims who were willing to talk to police. Some did not trust authority figures, while others viewed the man as a friend and did not want to “rat him out,” he said.

Two victims were willing to testify, and did so during Sloat’s trial.

Crown prosecutor Sylvia Domaradzki praised the two girls – now ages 15 and 17 – for their strength and courage.

“They did very well (at the trial). I’m very proud of them,” she said.

In addition to the sexual offences, Sloat was initially charged with two counts of administering a noxious substance, but they were stayed because there was not enough evidence to call an expert to testify, Domaradzki said.

Sloat is not currently in custody. According to the provincial court database, he has an extensive criminal record in Abbotsford, including previous convictions for assault, possession of a controlled substance, uttering threats, possession of stolen property and theft.

Just Posted

WATCH: Group of 150 gather for Fraser Valley Marches for Women in Chilliwack

Waving signs, women make their way down Young Road as part of second annual march in Chilliwack

Chilliwack prolific offender wanted yet again

B.C.-wide warrant issued for David Allen Geoghegan

One man, two women charged with stolen pickup downtown Chilliwack

None of the three have criminal history in B.C.

COLUMN: Should elected officials block constituents and reporters on social media?

Ottawa mayor was sued for doing that but a Chilliwack school trustee didn’t get that message

Chilliwack-Hope MP says new summer jobs grant application no longer includes ‘values test’

Those with anti-abortion beliefs left out last year because of requirement to respect the Charter

VIDEO: Students in MAGA hats mock Native American at Indigenous Peoples March

Diocese in Kentucky says it is investigating the matter, caught on video by onlookers

Want to avoid the speculation tax on your vacant home? Rent it out, Horgan says

Premier John Horgan and Sheila Malcolmson say speculation and vacancy tax addresses homelessness

CONSUMER REPORT: What to buy each month in 2019 to save money

Resolve to buy all of the things you want and need, but pay less money for them

UPDATE: B.C. woman and boy, 6, found safe, RCMP confirm

Roseanne Supernault says both she and her six-year-old nephew are fine and she has contacted police

PHOTOS: Women’s Marches take to the streets across B.C. and beyond

Women and allies marched worldwide protesting violence against women, calling for equality

Anxiety in Alaska as endless aftershocks rattle residents

Seismologists expect the temblors to continue for months, although the frequency has lessened

Women’s March returns across the U.S. amid shutdown and controversy

The original march in 2017, the day after President Donald Trump’s inauguration, drew hundreds of thousands of people

Federal Liberals announce former B.C. MLA as new candidate in byelection

Richard Lee will face off against federal NDP leader Jagmeet Singh

No winning ticket in $10 million Lotto Max jackpot

No win in Friday night’s draw means the next Lotto Max draw will be approximately $17 million

Most Read