A crack at fame: Abbotsford magician’s TV talent show mishap

VIDEO: Matt Johnson flew to U.K. to audition for Britain's Got Talent but things didn't go as planned

Matt Johnson poses with the padlocks

Matt Johnson poses with the padlocks

Submerged in water, with his neck chained to the floor of the 260-gallon tank, Matt Johnson‘s hands were cuffed through holes in its trapdoor roof.

Using a bobby pin, he picked both the handcuffs free and the collar off his neck.

Then came the hard part.

At Johnson’s feet were 31 identical-looking keys. Thirty were useless; one would open the lock holding the door keeping him under water.

His lungs seared, begging for oxygen.

Where was that one key?

Johnson had come halfway around the world, from Abbotsford to Birmingham, to take a crack at fame: an audition on Britain’s Got Talent.

But it was going wrong.

• • • •

His path to this moment started years before.

Johnson was given his first magic kit at age 12, while growing up in Rotherham, northern England, and he was instantly hooked.

Ever since, he has devised, practised and refined a myriad of illusions.

After residency gigs on cruise ships and a Japanese hotel, Johnson moved to B.C. in the late 1990s for love. That relationship didn’t last but the U.K. transplant has been committed to Canada since, playing corporate and public magic gigs as often as possible.

Three years ago, he submitted his first tape to Britain’s Got Talent. The answer: “No.”

The next year, it was the same.

Johnson knew he had to change something about his act to break through. So he changed everything.

Ditching the tuxedos that hid his full-sleeve tattoos, Johnson began performing in jeans and a T-shirt.

He covered his hands in more tattoos: hearts, diamonds, spades, clubs, a padlock and more.

Now this blue is perfect #waterescape #rehearsalday #blue #nailedit

A post shared by Matt Johnson (@followmattjohnson) on Jan 12, 2017 at 2:05pm PST

He started developing a full-length theatre show, including the tank escape, inspired by his younger brother, Jonathan.

Jonathan suffers from tuberous sclerosis, a genetic disease that grows benign tumours throughout his organs and causes regular seizures. The seizures rob him of his motor functions and his ability to breathe for minutes on end.

Locking himself into the tank helps Johnson understand what his brother goes through.

“When I am in the water tank, chained up, I am aware of my surroundings but cannot get out. The escape is the struggle and the fight that my brother goes through.

“When I am in there, my lungs burn, my stomach burns and it’s not pleasant; in fact, it’s quite painful. This is just a small scratch on the surface of what Jonathan goes through every day,” Johnson told The News at his Abbotsford apartment, two weeks after that day in Birmingham.

Beginning about a year ago, Johnson began going to the pool at 6 a.m. every day to dunk his head under water and resist the urge to surface for as long as possible.

Along with the tank escape, he developed a nearly two-hour theatre show.

He landed a show at Courtenay’s Sid Williams Theatre. The hard work had paid off.

The performance was videotaped and he sent the tank-escape clip to Britain’s Got Talent. Finally, he was invited to audition.

He spent a week practising the escape twice a day in his Chilliwack studio. Some attempts were successful, others required his assistant to rescue him with bolt cutters.

In mid-January, more than two weeks before his Birmingham audition, Johnson had to pack the tank into a crate and ship it to England.

The next time he was in the tank was during his sole onstage practice run before the audition, which would be in front of bright lights, a screaming crowd and celebrity judges, with TV cameras rolling.

Johnson is able to hold his breath for over four minutes when floating still and face-down in a pool. But he maxes out at less than half that time when crammed into a box, thrashing back and forth as he picks up keys one by one and tries them in the lock over his head.

As the clock ticked past a minute and a half, Johnson began kicking at the side of the tank, as his body’s plea for oxygen became a demand.

When asked by a crew member what his signal was to be rescued, Johnson had said: “When I go limp.”

Johnson’s lungs felt as if they had caught fire, at about the minute and 45 second mark. He began thrashing about, kicking the side of the tank.

After the second kick, he felt the water rushing down past him. He opened his eyes to see the 260 gallons rushing out from a crack in the tank. The water created a small waterfall over the front of the stage and got wiring, cameras and the set wet.

“I just collapsed in the box. I was emotionally, physically … done. It was like all three years flashed in front of my eyes. I just laid there, I couldn’t believe it had happened,” Johnson recalled two weeks later, back home in his Abbotsford apartment. “My soul went out the box, with the water,” he said.

Dejected, with no way to perform his escape and audition, Johnson left the theatre with his brother, parents and wife.

As they were pulling out, their car was cut off by a Bentley. Celebrity judge Simon Cowell emerged from the car to the screams of adoring fans.

Johnson said it was “like a kick in the teeth” to see the life he imagined for himself.

Depressed, he crawled into his hotel bed at 4 p.m. and didn’t emerge for more than a day.

He credits his wife with talking him through the next few days, as he visited family in the U.K. Less than a week after the devastating setback and within hours of landing back in B.C., Johnson was performing for 300 people at a corporate gig at Cascades Casino in Langley.

“I had no time to wallow, I had to go do my show,” he said.

The next night, he was performing in Vancouver.

After returning to Abbotsford, Johnson found out the story of his mishap had leaked to tabloids in Britain, earning the fame he sought for the wrong reasons.

He has already placed a rush order on a new tank – this time with metal-reinforced corners – which will be ready just in time for his next shot at television fame.

(He’s not allowed to disclose the name or location of the next TV show.)

Johnson has also already been extended an invitation to audition for next year’s edition of Britain’s Got Talent.

He has also added one more tattoo to his right hand: “Feb 04 17” – the date of the disastrous rehearsal – “NEVER GIVE UP.”



Just Posted

Justin Bond’s Bahrain 1 took a team around a year to construct. It gets its name because the Sheik of Bahrain is a major sponsor of the team. / Photo courtesy of Justin Bond.
Mission dragracer wins Atlanta race, ousts back-to-back world champion

Justin Bond goes quarter-mile in 5.738-seconds, beating champ Stevie ‘Fast’ Jackson on home turf

The Chilliwack Fire Department responded to a fully engulfed motorhome fire around 6:30 a.m. on Saturday, May 15, 2021. (Chris Gadsden)
UPDATE w/PHOTOS: Early-morning fire destroys motorhome in Chilliwack

Sinclair Road fire spread from motorhome to house

Jamie and Erin O’Neill, who are renting a 107-year-old house at 45837 Knight Rd., are wanting to save it from the wrecking ball and move it when it comes time for the owners of the house to build a new house on the property. They are pictured here outside the home on Tuesday, May 11, 2021. (Jenna Hauck/ Chilliwack Progress)
Chilliwack couple wants to save 107-year-old home from demolition, asking for community support

O’Neills have less than year to find new property, raise funds to move Knight Road house

Karl Eha showing off a fishing rod that was originally made in 1972. Patrick Penner photo.
Mission’s Eha Sports offering store credit for old fishing gear, plans to donate to poor Latin American children

Karl Eha recalls time as hungry kid in post-war Germany, says fishing kept him full

Bradley Priestap in an undated photo provided to the media some time in 2012 by the London Police Service.
Serial prowler acquitted of duct tape possession in Chilliwack provincial court

Ontario sex offender on long-term supervision order was found with one of many ‘rape kit’ items

Daily confirmed COVID-19 cases reported to B.C. public health, seven-day rolling average in white, to May 12, 2021. (B.C. Centre for Disease Control)
B.C. preparing ‘Restart 2.0’ from COVID-19 as June approaches

Daily infections fall below 500 Friday, down to 387 in hospital

People shop in Chinatown in Vancouver on Friday, February 5, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Vancouver community leaders call for action following 717% rise in anti-Asian hate crimes

‘The alarming rise of anti-Asian hate in Canada and south of the border shows Asians have not been fully accepted in North America,’ says Carol Lee

Sinikka Gay Elliott was reported missing on Salt Spring Island on Wednesday, May 12. (Courtesty Salt Spring RCMP)
Body of UBC professor found on Salt Spring Island, no foul play suspected

Sinikka Elliott taught sociology at the university

The first Black judge named to the BC Supreme Court, Selwyn Romilly, was handcuffed at 9:15 a.m. May 14 while walking along the seawall. (YouTube/Screen grab)
Police apologize after wrongly arresting B.C.’s first Black Supreme Court Justice

At 81 years old, the retired judge was handcuffed in public while out for a walk Friday morning

Cannabis bought in British Columbia (Ashley Wadhwani/Black Press Media)
Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

Surrey RCMP in the 4900-block of 148th Street, a short road just off of King George Boulevard, on May 15, 2021 after a male was allegedly assaulted with a “pipe-like” weapon that morning. (Photo: Shane MacKichan)
Surrey RCMP investigating after person reportedly injured with ‘pipe-like’ weapon

Police investigating incident in the 4900-block of 148th Street

Dr. Steve Beerman, of Nanaimo, shows off his Dr. David Bishop Gold Medal, awarded for distinguished medical service. (Karl Yu/News Bulletin)
Queen presents Vancouver Island doctor with award for global drowning prevention

Dr. Steve Beerman receives Royal Life Saving Society’s King Edward VII Cup at virtual ceremony

Former UFV Cascades wrestling coach Arjan Singh Bhullar is now the ONE heavyweight champion after defeating Brandon Vera via TKO in round two on Saturday in Singapore. (ONE Championship)
Former UFV wrestling coach wins MMA championship

Arjan Singh Bhullar captures ONE heavyweight title, first Indian origin fighter to achieve honour

Astra Zeneca vaccine waits for injection in a Feb. 3, 2021 file photo. A Langley man has become the second B.C. resident to suffer a blood clot following an injection. (AP Photo/Frank Augstein)
B.C. man required emergency surgery after AstraZeneca vaccination

Shaun Mulldoon suffered ‘massive blood clot’ after jab

Most Read