Alleged victims sue B.C. man awarded millions after acquittal in sex-assault case

Five unnamed women filed a lawsuit in B.C. Supreme Court alleging Ivan Henry sexually assaulted them

A British Columbia man who spent 27 years wrongfully imprisoned for sexual assault is being sued by five alleged victims who say he doesn’t deserve the millions of dollars he was awarded as compensation.

The five unnamed women filed a lawsuit in B.C. Supreme Court on Friday alleging that Ivan Henry broke into their homes in the 1980s and sexually assaulted them.

He was convicted in 1983 on 10 counts of sexual assault but those convictions were overturned seven years ago.

The civil lawsuit alleges that in most of the five cases Henry told the women he was looking for someone who had ripped him off, he asked about a boyfriend and then sexually assaulted them.

“The conduct of the defendant was calculated to inflict emotional suffering and psychological damage upon the plaintiffs,” the document says.

The allegations have not been proven in court and Henry has not filed a statement of defence with the court.

Marilyn Sandford, Henry’s lawyer, said it is sad her client is being asked to defend himself again, adding the evidence has not changed and Henry is confident the court will side with him again.

“The fact that Mr. Ivan Henry is innocent can’t be changed,” she said in an interview. “That’s the reality. We appreciate it may be difficult for some to accept.”

Sandford said Henry wouldn’t be available for an interview.

“He understands not everybody sees things the same way, particularly women who have been through such a traumatic incident and have believed for so many decades that he is the perpetrator,” Sandford said. “Those are difficult ideas to dislodge from them, and he understands that.”

Henry’s conviction was overturned in the B.C. Court of Appeal in 2010 because of flaws the judge found in both the trial and the police investigation, including a lineup photo that showed plain-clothed officers holding Henry in a headlock.

Henry, who is now in his 70s, sued and was awarded $8 million in damages from the provincial government in 2016. He was also awarded an undisclosed amount of compensation from the City of Vancouver and the federal government.

Chief Justice Christopher Hinkson of the B.C. Supreme Court said in the settlement decision that Henry would likely have been acquitted during his 1983 trial had Crown prosecutors disclosed the evidence to him. He said the Crown’s decision to withhold information from Henry, who acted as his own lawyer, demonstrated a “shocking disregard” for his rights and “seriously infringed” on his right to a fair trial.

The notice of civil claim filed by the five women seeks damages and asks that Henry be denied the money he was awarded for wrongful imprisonment.

Scott Stanley, who represents the five women, said the civil lawsuit is intended to give his clients a voice.


@katslepian

katya.slepian@bpdigital.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Chilliwack prolific offender wanted yet again

B.C.-wide warrant issued for David Allen Geoghegan

One man, two women charged with stolen pickup downtown Chilliwack

None of the three have criminal history in B.C.

COLUMN: Should elected officials block constituents and reporters on social media?

Ottawa mayor was sued for doing that but a Chilliwack school trustee didn’t get that message

Chilliwack-Hope MP says new summer jobs grant application no longer includes ‘values test’

Those with anti-abortion beliefs left out last year because of requirement to respect the Charter

Ask the Coach: Chilliwack Chiefs bench boss Brian Maloney talks shootouts

Ask the Coach is a bi-weekly feature where Maloney gives unfiltered answers to fan questions.

VIDEO: U.S. Congress to probe whether Trump told lawyer Cohen to lie

At issue is a BuzzFeed News report that about negotiations over a Moscow real estate project

Rookie Demko backstops Canucks to 4-3 win over Sabres

Young Vancouver goalie makes 36 saves to turn away Buffalo

Charges upgraded against mother of murdered B.C. girl

Kerryann Lewis now faces first- rather than second-degree murder in the death of Aaliyah Rosa.

UPDATE: Injured firefighter in stable condition

Kelowna fire crews responded to a blaze at Pope’sGallery of BC Art & Photography on Friday

Book a ride on a driverless shuttle in Surrey or Vancouver

Automated vehicle demos are being offered, as the two cities plan pilot projects with the shuttles

Heavy snowfall expected on the Coquihalla

Snowfall warning in effect for the Coquihalla Highway, from Hope to Merritt

Rare ‘super blood wolf moon’ takes to the skies this Sunday

Celestial event happens only three times this century

Arrest made after historic B.C. church hit by arson

The fire at the 150-year-old Murray United Church in Merritt was considered a possible hate crime

Missing man from Crowsnest Pass could be in Lower Mainland

58-year-old Stuart David Duff was last seen on Jan. 6, 2019.

Most Read