We hear a lot these days about where our food and other household purchases come from, but what about the packaging needed to get to us?
Sure, many materials are now recyclable, but what about the environmental costs associated with transportation and production, for example?
It’s these questions Donna Gumprich and her All Things Being Eco team have asked … and answered.
For a decade, the Chilliwack store has provided environmentally conscious, organic products for your home, your body, your baby and your wardrobe. What more could they, and their customers, do?
“Because we’ve been here for 10 years, our customers value the sustainable concept of the store. We started to add bulk products about 18 months ago, and now thought, let’s see if we can reduce the amount of plastics,” Donna says. “It was the next logical step and people are just over the moon about these additions.”
- Better in bulk: Moving beyond the cleaning products, you’ll now find body lotions, shampoos and more, and about 99 per cent of the store’s bulk products are Canadian! “We’ve opted to stay with the theme of the store, which is organic,” Donna says.
- What you want, in the amount you want: All bulk products in the store are sold in 10 millilitre increments, with the exception of the essential oils, which are sold in 1 millilitre increments, meaning you don’t need to buy any more than you need.
- Pitch the packaging: We’ve all got perfectly good glass and plastic containers at home – why not re-use them, instead of adding to the collection? While the All Things Being Eco team does have recyclable containers available, they’d rather you bring your own! “A lot of people are putting all this recycling out each week and they’re thinking, ‘There has to be a better way,’” Donna says.
- Get crafty: In addition to environmentally friendly cleaners and shampoos, ingredients like essential oils and beeswax are are are great for those wanting to create their own specialty products or gifts. “People in the Fraser Valley are very crafty and in the past they’ve had to drive to Vancouver for these things. Now, they have it right here at home, reducing their carbon footprint, saving time and saving money!”
- Sensational seminars: Ready to learn more about all the possibilities? Check out All Things Being Eco’s in-store seminars, exploring topics like making your own lip balm or room spray.
If you can’t make it in person, check out the online store, where you can shop from their extensive line of clothing, bedding, baby and children’s products and more.
Founded in Chilliwack in 2008, All Things Being Eco is committed to offering the best products for yourself, your family, the community and the environment – trying to make the world a better place, one organic, ethically produced and locally sourced product at a time. Stop by at 105-7388 Vedder Rd., visit online at allthingsbeingeco.ca and follow them on Instagram!