Skip to content

UPDATE: Chilliwack townhouse fire caused by unattended candle

Firefighters arrived to find flames coming from rear windows of townhouse unit on South Sumas Road

A candle that was left unattended caused a townhouse unit in Chilliwack to go up in flames on Friday.

The Chilliwack Fire Department was called to the two-alarm structure fire in the 45000-block of South Sumas Road around 11:20 a.m. on Dec. 15.

Firefighters arrived to find smoke and flames venting from the one unit’s rear windows at the townhouse complex located beside Tyson Elementary School.

“Firefighters managed to quickly knock the fire down and enter the building to extinguish the fire,” fire chief Ian Josephson stated in a press release later that same day.

There was significant fire, smoke and water damage to the one townhouse. The fire did not spread to any other units, however, there was minor smoke damage to the adjacent units.

The lone homeowner, a woman, was cared for by paramedics for possible smoke inhalation and was taken to Chilliwack General Hospital.

Gas was shut down, and crews were overhauling the fire after extinguishing it by 11:51 a.m.

Cause of the fire was accidental and related to an unattended candle.

“Chilliwack Fire Department reminds residents to never leave burning candles unattended. Candles should be in sturdy, noncombustible holders and all combustibles should be kept at least 30 centimetres (one foot) away from the candle(s),” Josephson stated. “We also remind residents to ensure they have working smoke alarms. Smoke alarms should be tested regularly.”

Emergency Support Services attended to provide support for the displaced owner.

A total of 24 firefighters from Hall 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6 responded to the fire. There were no firefighter injuries.

RELATED: Fire started after combustible materials left on stove in Chilliwack