Fire crews haul a burnt mattress out of an apartment building on Charles Street Tuesday morning. (Jenna Hauck/ The Progress)

Fire crews haul a burnt mattress out of an apartment building on Charles Street Tuesday morning. (Jenna Hauck/ The Progress)

Smoking materials cause fire in Chilliwack apartment

No injuries in accidental mattress fire on Charles Street

The Chilliwack Fire Department (CFD) is reminding the public to ensure smoking materials are fully extinguished after an apartment blaze Tuesday morning.

Crews were called to a report of a structure fire in the 9100-block of Charles Street at approximately 10 a.m. on April 18 after a neighbour saw black smoke. Firefighters responded from Halls 1, 4, and 6 and, on arrival, reported seeing light smoke venting from the second floor apartment.

Occupants were home at the time of the fire and were trying to put it out when the CFD arrived. Fire crews set up an offensive attack and quickly brought the fire under control.

The building manager on scene reported to the Progress that the occupants of the unit in question were squatters.

The apartment suffered minor fire and smoke damage to the interior of the structure. There were no civilian or firefighter injuries.

The CFD said the fire appeared to be accidental, caused by discarded smoking materials.

“Chilliwack Fire Department wants to remind the public to ensure smoking materials are fully extinguished in an approved container,” the CFD said in a press release.